News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Putting a Girly down for summer hibernation

Started by benebob, April 23, 2014, 12:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Looks like I'm gonna be laid up with hip and another shoulder surgery related to my Girly vs. drunk driver behind the wheel of a Honda Accord incident and I'll be going the longest I've gone without riding in 20 years.  Even with my broken pelvis and all the other initial injuries I was back on within 8 weeks.  Hip doc is saying minimum of 8 weeks then a month after the hip surgery I'm having "exploratory" surgery on the shoulder so who knows with that but I'd say at least a total of 3 months.  Having never really winterized a bike (aside from getting it ready to ride in the winter) what should I do.  Can I skip changing oil?  Did that about 1500 miles ago.  My thoughts were, clean it, fill the gas tank with a little stable in the gas, plug in the battery tender and lube the chain.  Any different suggestions.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Putts255

Sorry about your misfortune.  Drunk drivers get no respect from me, maybe an amputation would be in order.....judges discretion.   :bug_eye

I think you have about all it takes.  Not a lot to do to get it ready for a few months sleep.  Fuel stabilizer is the key.  If the battery tender can be relied on then hook it up.  I have had a couple that were crap and fried a battery or two.  A standard 1.5A charger on a weekly timer for an hour or two will also work.  Othewrwise cover it and sing it a lullaby.   
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Chris Canning

I'd clean it spray it up with WD and leave it on a tender.

exchead

I dont spray my bikes with wd40 anymore,i now use acf50 much better product and safe with rubber and electrical parts,it can be sprayed on and left then just wipe itwith a rag when you put back on road,dont spray it on your brakes.

benebob

Thanks guys, I winterize my tvr every fall but bike can be somewhat touchy with the small fuel passages etc.  I'm not trusting of wd either,although I have been known to spray it on my brake rotors, everything else I'd rather clean and wax.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Chris Canning

The important part is where you store the bike,having ruined one bike through having it stored in a damp garage many years ago in retaliation!! I built another house which really is a separate story so my bikes now reside with central heating and carpet on the floor,my 1100s had stood from September 012 till 6 weeks ago I'd done nothing too it except a battery tender fired up first press of the button and have probably done a 1000 miles on it in the last few weeks and it's fine,the joys of fuel injection e'h  :icon_biggrin:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: exchead on April 24, 2014, 11:52:22 PM
I dont spray my bikes with wd40 anymore,i now use acf50 much better product and safe with rubber and electrical parts,it can be sprayed on and left then just wipe itwith a rag when you put back on road,dont spray it on your brakes.

:iagree
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

At 12 quid a can building my house seemed a cheaper option  :icon_wink:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Chris Canning on April 25, 2014, 10:25:20 PM
At 12 quid a can building my house seemed a cheaper option  :icon_wink:

You must be getting it at trade price Chris!  I found it works better in lock mechanisms than WD40 and that sold it for me.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint