News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shipping Bike from North America to Europe

Started by Tonithetiger, July 23, 2013, 05:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonithetiger

This is perhaps a big topic to start on this forum with but I like to jump in over my head, so here we go.

I'm not even sure what my route will be, but I'm sure that I want to get my bike over to Europe.

So I'm wondering is anyone familiar with companies that with ship a motorcycle from a major centre in Canada (say Calgary or Edmonton) to a major centre in Europe (maybe London, or Frankfurt)?
And if so, how was the experience, both with the shipping and with the actual ride in Europe?

I'm torn between, a tour through Norway and a tour down to and around Turkey.
Any stories would be greatly appreciated.
DK
1994 Blue steamer.

iansoady

I believe Cos of this parish shipped a bike from the USA to Crete some years ago.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

I think it was USA / Cyprus but yes, it was COS.  He doesn't drop in much any more so I'd suggest PM him.

Have you looked at Airlines?  I looked at options to tour USA on a bike some years ago and found that it was cheaper to ship my own bike than hire one if I was going for more than 4 months. Virgin Airways would ship the bike, and needed the usual prep.  Run it almost dry of fuel before you get to the airhead, disconnect the battery and insulate the terminals and protect with tape and padding anything you don't want scratched / broken.  Much quicker and you and the bike can travel together.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akendall1966

Would search on hubb or ADV rider I have seen recomendations on there
----AK-----

lukeman

Quote from: akendall1966 on July 23, 2013, 01:50:30 PM
Would search on hubb or ADV rider I have seen recomendations on there

Also Horizon Unlimited is a pretty good resource.  From what I understand from people that do it often, is that flying into Germany is the best option if you can.  The customs  is extremely efficient (as you can imagine)  and its all good for the EU after that.

Sin_Tiger

You will need a statement from an independent registered motor engineer, your local dealer or even garage may be acceptable, to the effect that there is no remaining fuel in any of the system and that sources of ignition (battery) have been satisfactorily isolated.  Doing it yourself is not  acceptable any longer sadly :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HockleyBoy

http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/Pages/ShippingQuote/

Gound these people on ADVrider some time ago, know nothing about them but had saved the link with a vague idea of a trip accross the Atlantic in the future.

Gives you an idea of the cost at least.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Spud

James cargo based in the UK may be able to help, speak to any shipping company. Have you thought of a bike swop. I know someone who is thinking of going to Canada and buying a bike to do some touring on can you give any advise please

cheers Spud  :thumbsup