News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 Girly valve clearances - question

Started by SilverTiger, July 24, 2013, 03:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverTiger

I decided to check my valve clearances because I have no firm proof that they have ever been checked since the bike was new, and I have a 3000 mile Euro road-trip coming up next month.  Mileage is 17.5k, I bought it at 12.1k a year ago from a non-Triumph dealer who said they had serviced it to the book, but I don't know for sure that they checked the valve clearances.  Anyway I checked them just now, please see results below.  None of the clearances were below spec, but 6 were over spec.  My question is, looking at the measurements below, and assuming that the tolerances will close up with mileage, do you think it is necessary to correct the out-of-spec clearances with new thicker shims, or are the over spec amounts negligible?  Thanks in advance for any input.

Ian

EXH  Cyl.1  0.18mm  0.17mm  Cyl.2  0.19mm  0.21mm  Cyl.3 0.225mm  0.205mm       (Book spec 0.15-0.20mm)

INL  Cyl.1  0.145mm 0.16mm  Cyl.2 0.14mm  0.145mm  Cyl.3  0.165mm  0.175mm     (Book spec 0.10-0.15mm)
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

Mustang

it's fine
run it , they are not out enough to even bother with

SilverTiger

Thanks very much Mustang.     Ian.    :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Also worth repeating Ian, loose is good tight is bad; the reverse of the old days of tappets.  Unless you have a bad shim that wears through the hard surface (and I've never seen a shim do that) the only wear is the valve / valve seat slowly wearing which moves the stem up the guide and closing the gap.  So slightly big gaps will come into tolerance in time.  Mine has 28k miles and never needed any shims doing.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

SilverTiger

Thanks BB for the confirmation.  As I type this in my garage I've just got the cam cover back on and all the plugs, coils etc. are in, just linked the tank up to the side of the girl ready for throttle body balancing.  Happy days!   I did the airbox mod while I had everything apart, I have a standard pipe but with a hole smacked into the baffle plate half way down.  The hole is about 1 1/2" in diameter.  Do you reckon I'd need to do the TOR remap?  Thanks again.  Ian.   ps I'm running a 19 tooth front sprocket.  :wave

Bixxer Bob

With an adapted standard can and 19t sprocket, youmay as well go the whole hog and do the airbox mod and the TOR map.  ChrisCanning swaers by it.  :icon_biggrin:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

SilverTiger

:hat10  Thanks, I'll get that done next week.  When I did the TB balance the IACV decided to dismantle itself, I just got it back together by gently screwing the plunger in and carefully pushing it into its housing, hope I haven't cocked it up.  Should I have unplugged the electronic part of the IACV aswell as taking off the plunger housing?  Just so I know for next time.  Hopefully this tune will really make the old girl fly  :icon_salut:  Ian

Bixxer Bob

Ian and I have both accidentally disassembled the IACV and needed a new one. You did well to retain all the bits.  Just check it cycles ok with the IACV test in TuneEcu.  Make as sure as you can that you have no IACV tube air leaks.  They need to be a tight fit on the spigots and cracks in the corrugations are not unknown.

Chris Canning

I'd definitely have a TOR map blown in and for what it cost get a proper open pipe secondhand stuff is peanuts now,you will find it'll pull a 19 easy,good job you haven't made the mistake that some muppets do with running a 19 and no airbox mod it'll fall flat on it's face,but you have obviously done your homework  :icon_biggrin:,just checked my files :icon_rolleyes: I see the airbox mod has around since 03.

Bixxer Bob

Ah, I read it it again and see you did the airbox mod already.   

Hoy  Canning,  I'll let the muppet comment go past, I can't be arsed......

Chris Canning

Quote from: SilverTiger on July 25, 2013, 02:22:42 PM
:hat10  Thanks, I'll get that done next week.  When I did the TB balance the IACV decided to dismantle itself, I just got it back together by gently screwing the plunger in and carefully pushing it into its housing, hope I haven't cocked it up.  Should I have unplugged the electronic part of the IACV aswell as taking off the plunger housing?  Just so I know for next time.  Hopefully this tune will really make the old girl fly  :icon_salut:  Ian

If you haven't already put it back together put a K+N in as well it all helps the bike breath better.

metalguru

[/quote]

If you haven't already put it back together put a K+N in as well it all helps the bike breath better.
[/quote]

Matter of opinion there Chris,
Without gettting this going again, K&Ns are ok at flowing air but the std filter has much more surface area which after the engine has sucked the oil from the K&N, will FILTER a lot better.
Will try to find the diagram and post.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

metalguru

For benefit of others, here is the comparison graph of dirt passed by sample air filters.

The Delco filter is the same paper type material used in all thier filters and by most filter manufacturers.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

SilverTiger

I did decide to stick with the stock air filter in the end as it looks like it must have been replaced at 12k miles when I bought the bike 16 months ago.  When I was a yoof we used to put K&Ns on all our two strokes (RDs, Kwacker triples etc.) but we had to spray them with a special oil supplied with the filter.  Anyone remember that?  The oil was supposed to help trap dust and dirt particles by some kind of static charge IIRC.  I lost count of the number of my mates pistons I had to replace because of holes burnt through the tops of 'em after mucking about with filters, spannies etc. and not rejetting correctly.  Very happy days, if a little mental  :icon_biggrin:

I'm doing the TuneECU work this week so I'll check that the IACV performs as expected.  Thanks guys for all the tips.  Ian.

Chris Canning

Well I guess it's all relative if you had a graph for how safe it is travelling in a car compared to bike the bike would into oblivion but it doesn't stop us does it.

When it comes to cleaning and looking after bikes I'm happy to admit I'm anal,who else has a twin tub washing machine in the garage to clean the clothes that I clean the bikes with :icon_redface:,I've had my Tiger in bits dozens of times checked and triple checked for shit south of the filter and I'm more than happy,If I lived in a desert or planned to do 250,000 miles on the bike I might have a change of heart but I don't plan on doing either.

The tiger is slowly(very) falling behind the game I've managed to keep abreast of the times with wheels suspension brakes gearing and when I fitted a K+N there was a marked difference in pick up and I liked that a lot,if I thought there was a major price to pay for using it I wouldn't but I don't beleave there is, graph or no graph,and this from a guy who never rides a bike in the winter but strips his brakes and pads out 3 times a year to clean e'm and the bike has had(at least) 15 oil changes in 12 years.