News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Strange sound like exhaust leak coming from intake side

Started by Advwannabe, June 21, 2013, 03:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

I thought it was an exhaust leak at first, loosened the radiator and oil cooler and tighened all the flange studs. No change to the noise, a pulsing hissing sound, which rises and falls with engine revs.

Getting down close to the bike it sounded like the noise was actualy coming from the intake side of the engine. Steering head bearings need replacement and the throttle bodies need a clean so may as well pul it down.

Once I got the tank off I could see that the little pipe that runs to the TPS from the middle cylinder throttle body had come out. I've since reinstalled it. Could this be the source of the noise? Anyone had this before?

I won't know till I reassemble things and run the motor. I've also checked the plug while I 've got everything apart to make sure they weren't loose, aother of my theories. They weren't.

Second question for Tigger experts: I want to clean and lube the linkages around the throttle bodies. As you can see I do a lot of gravel running. Therefore I don't want to grease them as that will attract more muck, which will turn int grinding paste, etc etc.

If someone has a recommendation I'd be glad to hear it, otherwise someone with a fuel injected dirt bike might know? 
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Chris Canning

I'd spray e'm with what I use on my chain Wurth dry  lube,I never get any shit stuck to it.

Advwannabe

Thanks Chris, any other input on the chuffing sound? Guess I'll find out if I've fixed it when it goes back together....
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Advwannabe

Yes the hose into the idle control valve( the thingo in the picture) was the culprit.

For anyone else facing this issue and thankfully from the lack of responses it is uncommon, You will hear a chuffing like an exhaust leak, but when you kneel down beside the motor it will be apparent that it is coming from the inlet side.

Steering head bearings replaced, forks rebuilt, now to Tigger ready for it's rego inspection
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

metalguru

Not entirely sure that i will stay fixed for long. Those convoluted pipes will need replacing with some 5mm silicon vacuum pipe and the Idle Air Control Valve cleaning.

As for cleaning the linkages, with a Cold engine use some petrol or if you have a pressure washer then either will do the trick, obviously masking the inlets. Then spray with a dry teflon lube, don't forget the throttle cable while you are in there.

:thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.