News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steam Driven Chair

Started by Sin_Tiger, August 07, 2013, 11:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 05, 2013, 06:57:26 PM
Quote from: rf9rider on December 05, 2013, 01:07:49 AM
By the way Sin, did you get the handguards?

I did thanks, thought I'd sent you a reply, apologies if I didn't, very nice they are too, saving them for the stocker since they are so good.   :thumbsup

You might have said so, can`t remember, been away a lot recently in the "other" house  :augie

Sin_Tiger

Right. got the new V5 for the tug while I was away, Thought I might free up the brakes and sling it through an MOT just to see how she goes and any other niggles.

Then I had look at the rear rim  :bug_eye it was a bit cheese like before but during the winter it has gone severely mouldy Swiss cheese, I think the spokes and the tyre are holding together. I want to stay with spoked wheels, therefore it's time for a new rim with stainless spokes.

So question for Mustang. What width  is the Trophy rim that you're using, haven't been able to able to find specs for the Trophy that show the rim width only the tyre size.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tripodtiger

Quote from: PompeyLad on August 30, 2013, 10:35:48 AM
Sorry in advance for the highjack. Still relevant though. :icon_biggrin:
Mustang, I have a couple of old Soviet era outfits and am planning on mounting one of the hacks to my Tiger. I am on the scrounge for sub-frame plans and the like. I ask because as the saying goes, I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I plan on fabricating it myself, largely on account of I am in Sweden and getting something shipped from the US and then paying EU/Swedish customs duty makes it prohibitively expensive. ( They even charge 25% on the cost of shipping) Having built 2 sidecars, 1 a trials outfit and the other an enduro/mx one, I believe I am up to the task.  :new_all_coholic Getting it through Swedish vehicle registry/inspection on the other hand...... :Topes

How'd you go with finding some sub-chassis plans / ideas?

cheers
rayb
'73 RD250, '80 XS11, '81 RD350LC,
'96 Steamer - 'Tiger Trek' outfit.
'02 Girly - 'Envy'
"Faster Daddy, Faster!" (aged 7?)

Sin_Tiger

No luck yet,  did you make it up as you went along or work to an existing plan?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sin_Tiger

Spent the last week all rebuilding the calipers, bike was not movable at all, what fun  :icon_rolleyes: , just as well Jay didn't get around to doing that before sending it to me, he would be  :icon_mad: as some previous joker had used a pair of mole grips on the pistons  :icon_rolleyes:

While waiting for the paint to dry on the bits, I decided to have a play. Hooked up a jumper battery, turn the key, all lights on  :icon_biggrin: , hit the starter and she spins over nice and free and the oil pressure light goes out after about 4-5 revs  :thumbsup. Hooked up my test tank with some petrol stolen from the other half's lawnmower stash and fill the float bowls. Kick her over and blow me if she doesn't fire first rev  :bug_eye

Not enough room to do my little happy  :qgreenjumpers  but you get the idea. Only problem is she sat at 3500 rpm, choke cable seized, maybe she will rev a bit more, nope, throttle cable seized  :icon_cry: oh well, can't win em all, still a happy chappy.

qbto

I've a couple of old Trophy rims out in the garage, if you need I can check the rim size.

Sin_Tiger

Cheers, Mustang helped me out,  5.5" if you have a tape measure in your hand next time you're in the shed.

Not out on the Tiger, crackin day for it  :wheel

Sin_Tiger

Well things have taken a decidely left turn. As some may have spotted, thanks BB  :augie, a Steamer with chair recently came up on Fleabay. After a chat with the vendor and more than a chat with the other half, it seemed like too good an opportunity to miss. It was all in one piece, already had leading link forks, was already colour matched and was a proven article, unlike my project  :^_^

Some waiting and I finally made a bid in the closing hour, after some nail biting and calling up as much Karma as I could I was lucky enough to win. I managed to get down to Bromley South after the weekend to collect it from a very helful vendor who had a huge amount of paperwork from the original (who kept a detailed log) and previous owners, I have come to the conclusion this is the same rig that started me off on this journey (see pic in first post), having featured on an earlier version of Hedingham's website (not there now).

After getting my sh1te together and mustering a fair bit of courage, not having operated a combination since I was in my teens and then only around a field and farmyard, I set off through the streets of greater London just as the evening rush hour was starting to build in search of petrol, the M25 and Scotland. I know, mad as a box of   :wav and asking for trouble  :nono Well the Gods must have taken pity on me because I managed it without any collateral damage but not without scaring myself on a few occasions, stopped for a break part of the way home and to cut a long story short ended up in a hotel that I hadn't planned on much later than I would have liked, thanks Laterooms.com (not).

Pure coincidence but the bar in the hotel as you see below  :thumbsup I don't think I will be getting approval to redecorate with a similar theme anytime soon. Since I was near enough to Hinkley I couldn't resist the temptation to indulge in a little spiritual homage before heading North, I think I caught a glimpse of John Bloor closing his curtains and taking the phone off the hook as I rocked up at his front door, the custom SUS end cans are loud  :ear

It's hard to believe but the engine in this thing is the sweetest of the three I now have, and the quietest, I wasn't expecting that after the PO admitting that he had drilled a few extra holes in the end plates because the single outlet had a whistle that he found irritating and the airbox has been truncated on one side to accomodate the subframe but she pulls like a good 'un without a hiccup or flat spot anywhere  :icon_scratch:

Serious recalibration has been required, I need to overhaul the brakes, I think the suspension may be getting a bit tired, I will need to do some setting up to suit my loading, after 500 miles in a little over 24 hours, I now know why regular sidecar pilots have neck and shoulder muscles like a Welsh Scrum Front Row but I am seriously hooked and importantly so is the Boss, anybody want to buy a low mileage Trophy SE, I'll throw in a spare sidecar I happen to have lying around?

John Stenhouse

Cool, that's good buy mate. Are we going to see it in Wales?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Fantastic mate! Looking forward to seeing it.   Jackie says the whiskey must've gone to your head....  :icon_lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

if you grin like an idiot when you ride it ,

it's hard to go back to a solo bike again , you'll want to take the hack everytime !

Sin_Tiger

Yup, going to get a new open lid so I stop deafening myself laughing  :icon_mrgreen:

Note to self: try not to make big decisions after drinking English Whiskey  :new_all_coholic

Mustang

have you "flown the chair", yet?

Sin_Tiger

Yes but I wouldn't call it planned or in control  :icon_redface:

JayDub

:bug_eye :icon_biggrin: :thumbsup............ I knew it  :eusa_clap
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."