News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Regulator/Rectifier Unloaded Output

Started by pineygroveshop, August 15, 2013, 01:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Hi Stephen,

I have a Ricks stator and RR in my Girly.

I've never run the RR disconnected from the battery, but hooked up to the battery with no other load it's around the 13.9-14.2 mark at idle rising to about 14.9 at 4000rpm.

Stator gives about 25VAC phase to phase at idle rising to over 40 VAC phase to pahse at 4000 rpm.

Rick acknowledges that the connector between the Stator and RR is not very good and supplies a kit to solder them directly together. This eliminated an unhealthy amount of heat in the wiring and recovered about .5V drop at the battery. If you are running aux equipment like extra lights or heated clothing I highly recommend soldering the wires.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Bixxer Bob

I was reading some Triumph technical notes (recall sheets) last night and was not surprised to find that there is a recall on the loom on early 855 Tigers which tells the deal to remove the plugs that route the three yellows through the loom to the reg rec and solder it direct.  Can't wait to see what else is in this little pile of paper  :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Group of mates went down the Ace cafĂ© yesterday one broke down no power( electrics) on a 955 Tiger  :icon_lol:

Bixxer Bob

That'll be :

A.  30 amp fuse

B.  Ign lock.

C.  No charge going to the battery.

Ladies and gentlemen, please place your bets ....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

It actually packed up on the way down,they pulled the lights fuse and carried on and it died a death on the way home,it'll be sorted by tomorrow two of the lads in the group run the bike breakers a mile for where I live and walk the dog it's my coffee stop every day,the quote when I asked if they needed any bits 'Nah we've got loads ' ok see you in the afternoon  :icon_lol:

ArchRider

Chris/Stephen,
Thank you both for your input.  I am now confident I can install the reg/rec without blowing it up.  I am using a higher-grade, auto-ranging, digital meter which ran about $30.  I used it to double check a Craftsman digital meter which is not auto-ranging and while the Craftsman lost about 0.2 ohms in the leads, they both checked against each other.

Thanks for all your help.  If I still have trouble with the battery not staying charged over a week of daily riding, I'm guessing it must be a short in the wiring somewhere.  Fortunately, I know where to come with my questions.

Paul

Chris Canning

Well the tiger I was talking about got fixed today a Reg/Rec!! but at some it has also had a alternator on  :icon_rolleyes:

On our trips now I carry a spare R/R and I'll just unplug the old and zip tie the new on if need be.

pineygroveshop

Has anyone had a Rick's HotShot R/R failure?
Cheers,
Stephen