News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Misfire when rained on

Started by Frosties, August 06, 2013, 01:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosties

Hiya fellas, hope you can help.

My Tiger has developed over a few months a severe phobia of water.

Initially it was after a high speed run and coming to a halt that the bike would cough/splutter/die and you could feel it was mis-firing on one cylinder. Sorted by refitting splash guard.

This has now developed into being very hard to start if left standing in the rain. Initially I could clear this by idling for 10 mins but is now at the point that warming it up and coughing on 2.5 cylinders for nearly 50 miles won't sort the issue. Pulling away is a bitch and needs the clutch slipped 3-4 times to get going. Come the morning when it's dried out all is good and running well until next downpour!

I've replaced all plugs, cleaned thoroughly the carbs and filters. Also had the carbs balanced and valve clearances/shims done in case it was an issue - i'm lost!!

Has anyone had any similar experiences or heard of similar.

Any advice much appreciated as having to use my back up bike to commute 100 miles each day (Fazer 600  :icon_sad:) and can't get 2 days mileage out of 1 tank.

Cheers

Mustang

water in your fuel tank ............the drain line is plugged letting water in around gas cap ,
and if that aint it you have a ignition coil gone tits up

my moneys on plugged drain in tank

Frosties

Cheers for that Mustang, top bloke  :notworthy

Will have a look when I get home & let you know. Hope it is that simple 'cos a coil ain't cheap over here (about £110 new)  :bug_eye

Cheers again!

davetheworv

Hi I have a Sprint ( sorry Tiger guys) but I  love Tigers and all 3 cylinder Triumphs.

On the Sprints, some of the guys have this problem with left hand cylinder after being on the side stand, water seeps down  the lead and gets under the cover over the plug, or the seal at coil end has hardened and shrunk. Some have fixed the problem by sealing the coil where the cable goes in with silicone sealer.

Worth a try

rf9rider

If it is your coils, you could always use the TT600 stick coils.

Frosties

Dave/RF9,

Cheers for that fellas, sounds like another couple of good calls.

Checked here for the TT600 price and they are cheaper. http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=301884&block_03=3809    Don't always buy from here but the parts listing is good for numbers & locating that little shite bit you need.

Reckon my issue could be a combination of solutions - left it 2 days & used the Fazer (so no Sprint apologies needed  :icon_lol:). Got my 3 cylinders back but with some hesitant on pick up mainly sub 3k Rpm whilst on pilots ...which are as clean as a whistle. This may be down to a leaner mix after fitting a K & N air filter.........should be able to sort this with trial and error of applying tights over the inlet snorkel - i'm serious  :sign13

Cheers again  :thumbsup

Frosties

Update,

Drain line all clear, all coils meter out with same resistance.

Checked all electrical connections - all good but sealed with silicon & electrical tape anyway.

Checked for possible water tracks running down and onto coils, leads etc and added some water traps (a fair bit of electrical tape wrapped round and then a tie wrap over) so any water running down will drop behind radiator.

Bit of a mystery really because it's all good after its dried out.

Waiting for the rain now to check it again!

Mustang

are the coils branded as "GILL" ?

They can ohm fine when "cold" .................and still be JUNK

What happens to the gills is they were wound with inferior copper wire and with age the windings can break and then the poor little spark has to jump the break in the internal windings . as they heat up / age  the break in the winding becomes bigger and bigger until the spark cannot maintain when under load (ie. compression) it will usually misfire at low rpm and then be fine at 4k rpm and above

Me_Rock

Are all of the airbox components still air tight? What about your carb rubbers - are they cracked?

Frosties

Hiya fella,

All airbox components air tight (cleaned the K&N whilst doing plugs). All Carb rubbers good.

Whilst I get Mustang's thoughts of a coil starting to go tits up, I don't get why i can blast, duck and dive for 50 odd miles every day and ride home the same unless it gets rained on whilst at work then it's a bitch to start (sounds like yours in clip) then is a bitch to ride home. Dries out overnight and good to go the next day.

Sealed as much as I could and added water traps for any water running down other cables as said earlier - just don't get it, something is getting wet...just gotta find it!

How's your bike?

Mustang - yup they are Gill type coils fitted. Sourced half price ones here if needed  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360510882813?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

windscreenman1

Hey frosties I just upgraded my coils to nology and also my plugs and shes sweet check the threads about coils
Nology is king set of 3 for £ 210 and silver nology plugs were 45 for the set
Expensive I know but it does make  all the difference got them all from
Www.michealcomberracing.com
Speak to Rob mention tiger triple he will look after you
Cheers
Mark

Frosties

Quote from: windscreenman1 on August 14, 2013, 11:03:44 PM
Hey frosties I just upgraded my coils to nology and also my plugs and shes sweet check the threads about coils
Nology is king set of 3 for £ 210 and silver nology plugs were 45 for the set
Expensive I know but it does make  all the difference got them all from
Www.michealcomberracing.com
Speak to Rob mention tiger triple he will look after you
Cheers
Mark

Cheers for that Mark will keep it in mind. The coil prices are good and those plugs better be good at £15 a pop.  :icon_lol:

It's the next step to replace the coils after the work i've done and Mustang's comments. Bit lumpy under 3K but carbs as clean as and balanced by a pro!

Jeff