News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Norway questions...

Started by Nick Calne, August 18, 2013, 05:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

I just took a week's holiday in Norway with the wife and I have to say it was really nice. Now I am quite inspired to return on the steamer.  The roads just look built for tiger type riding and scenery is stunning.

I would ideally like to catch a ferry there... has anyone else given this a go recently?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

I/w too have been to Norway skiing,any thoughts I have ever had about going there on a bike have been confirmed by not only folk who have posted on the net but friends I know who have been and the hassle is speeding they are completely OCD about it and the fines are through the roof,be prepared to have great views and ride along in 3rd gear because anything more will get you locked up.

I've a couple of friends who live in the IOM they potter along suits them not me,they and went and got stopped within a mile of the ferry and had the riot act read to e'm which caused much amusement considering how slow they are,the way I saw it plenty of other countries to visit in Europe without the hassle,but yer pays yer money and takes yer chance.

Bixxer Bob

I've had a hankering for Norway for a while so thanks for the warning Chris. 

Not that anyone's likely to go there on a bike, but Iceland is the same.  I was literally 100 miles from the nearest town and hadn't see another car for over an hour when I got pulled.  The cop said "Have a seat in my car" I thought "This is not going to be good".  He asked what is the limit, I said 80 kph, he said you were doing 106 kph, I thought "That's when you got a lock on me, I was going WAY quicker than that".  He said, "There will be a fine", I thought "Get away...".  He pulled out a graph and plotted my speed against number of offences (only one, it was my first and last) then he pulled out a table to calculate the discount for a first offence.  He then told me that if I offended again the fine would be much bigger AND I would have to pay the discount on the first offence as well. He then produced a credit card machine so that I could pay him the equivalent of £140.  As a parting note, he said "Up to 100kph is ok but no more".

To be fair there's a reason for them being so hard; we did 320 miles that day, some of it in driving snow and he was the only other person we saw.  There is a steep 10-12ft drop off the road on either side and no mobile phone signal.  In short, skid off the road and you die.  That's it, no second chances.   

Or maybe it's a Scandinavian thing.... :icon_mrgreen:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

The bit of Norway I drove around would have been pretty hard to speed on as it was seriously narrow roads in the main. Breathe in to let two cars pass...

I heard the fines are stiff but apparently the police are very few and far between. So perhaps it's not so bad.

Not that it matters, as you'll be trundling along looking at the fjords etc rather than bombing about.

Bigfeesh

Two of us went well north up past the Artic Circle a couple of years ago on a Girly and a Speed Triple, bloody marvellous, 24hr  :XXsunsmile sunshine, twisty roads and stunning views. We had previous with the local plod from working there a few years earlier, £1000 on the spot "wisa card pleese" fine for 100mph  :bug_eye. Nice. The national speed limit is 50mph (80kmh) but the roads can be so good (or bad!) that that ain't too difficult really, just watch out for the Reindeer, Moose and the spiked tyre ruts!
Tiptop

Spud

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

http://nmcu.org/english

Don't speed Full stop, heavy instant fine.

Don't drink Full Stop, instant cell time

Norway can be expensive last time I went it was nearly £8 a pint, so if you like a tipple take some duty free with you. Booze also comes in handy for "thanks for getting me out of the crap" present should you need it.
Stunning country, great roads and generally nice people. The only down side I see is the cost.
The ferry across can/will be expensive, or it's a decent ride. There is a commercial shipping company that takes bike's when and if it has space I will do some digging and try to find the link for you

Go and enjoy

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Chris Canning

Well we have seen a fair amount of Europe/Scandinavia (my wifes cousin lives in Helsinki) and still think the best bit is east of Prague.

NKL

I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Nick Calne

I don't really drink much anymore and I don't speed that much either.

£8/pint is ridiculous. I might slam 4 or 5 crates of beer on the back and sell them as I go! That could pay for the trip....

Thanks for links spud. :icon_salut:

Spud

No worries mate, a couple of bottles tucked away may come in handy   :icon_wink: for those in the dooh dooh moments should they occur, or as you say you could always sell them  :bug_eye

Have a great trip

cheers Spud  :icon_wink:

Geoff W

I haven't been to Norway myself, but i have looked at a trip. I spoke to a few people who have done the Arctic Circle Trip. Previous advice on speeding and cost of beer is reinforced. Hotels and B&B's are sparse and expensive on the way to the Arctic Circle, old school style advice is to join the Youth Hostel Association. They are cheaper and more plentiful over there.
Norway is almost crime free (apart from speeding!) outside of Oslo. UNLESS you leave a bottle of Malt Scotch in view in a car or somehow on a bike, it WILL go. It may cost £20.00 here but it is worth over £200 over there if you can find any. As was suggested, take a few small bottles as gifts, you may find that it helps to grease a palm or two.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Geoff W

I forgot to add, that there is a commercial, freight ferry from Teesside to I think Stavanger. They take private vehicles but are limited in number. I think DFDS run it. The Newcastle ferry stopped about 5 years ago.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Nick Calne

Thanks Geoff. :XXcomputer Looking into it all now.

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 18, 2013, 11:02:41 PM
I've had a hankering for Norway for a while so thanks for the warning Chris. 

Not that anyone's likely to go there on a bike, but Iceland is the same.  I was literally 100 miles from the nearest town and hadn't see another car for over an hour when I got pulled.  The cop said "Have a seat in my car" I thought "This is not going to be good".  He asked what is the limit, I said 80 kph, he said you were doing 106 kph, I thought "That's when you got a lock on me, I was going WAY quicker than that".  He said, "There will be a fine", I thought "Get away...".  He pulled out a graph and plotted my speed against number of offences (only one, it was my first and last) then he pulled out a table to calculate the discount for a first offence.  He then told me that if I offended again the fine would be much bigger AND I would have to pay the discount on the first offence as well. He then produced a credit card machine so that I could pay him the equivalent of £140.  As a parting note, he said "Up to 100kph is ok but no more".

To be fair there's a reason for them being so hard; we did 320 miles that day, some of it in driving snow and he was the only other person we saw.  There is a steep 10-12ft drop off the road on either side and no mobile phone signal.  In short, skid off the road and you die.  That's it, no second chances.   

Or maybe it's a Scandinavian thing.... :icon_mrgreen:

That fine for 26kph over, in Norway would cost you UPWARDS of £500!!!How do I know? Well it cost me £450 for 17kph over. To make things worse they clock you just as the limit changes so even if you've throttled off and are slowing, as I was, you're nicked. And they hide in long grass and all sorts of other sneaky places. BASTARDS.
However,...................................................... there are lots of privately own toll roads which are mostly dirt, but good quality and well maintained, which are not policed.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

There was a 60% discount for 1st offence but still not as draconian as Norway then.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...