News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Overheating

Started by 737captain, August 31, 2013, 12:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

737captain

Due to unbearable summer temperatures and Florida humidity I haven't ridden my Tiger in the last couple of months. The other day I took her for a short ride around the neighborhood and I noticed the engine felt warm. When I got home and stopped coolant puked out of the back. I noticed the fan wasn't running.

Where to start?

Thanks in advance

Bixxer Bob

Ok, it would be good to narrow this down a little bit, there are some common cooling system issues but lets start at the beginning.

When you say coolant puked out of the back,  where do you mean exactly???

Also, when you say the engine was warm, what was the gauge reading?? I'm assuming you haven't just (slightly over) filled the system recently???

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

737captain

The engine just felt warm to my legs as I pulled up on the driveway, can't tell you what the temp gauge read. When I shut it down I put it on the side stand and turned away and the fluid was coming out with enough force to make me hear it hitting the floor and turn around. Of course a little fluid goes a long way so I lost maybe 1/2 pint in a few seconds then it stopped.

I am out of town until Tuesday but intend to spend a bit more time trouble shooting. I was thinking I could test the sensor somehow and the switch if I can find it. I can Hotwire the fan too I assume to eliminate it.

I haven't had to add fluid in 12 months +

Thanks for your help

NortonCharlie

My guess step one is to replace the radiator cap.  When topping up the fluid at teh cap there is a little brass bleed screw to remove that helps let air trapped in the system out.  You should see the fluid in the hole.  BTW this is a job best done on the center stand and requires pulling the fuel tank off.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando