News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprag clutch on 95 Steamer

Started by beefos, September 03, 2013, 10:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefos

It's gone and no cover so it's an engine out job.
Read the how to guide but the pics are no longer available and I have a question if anyone can help.
Once the engine is out can I split the crankcase without removing head and barrels etc and can I access the sprag this way?

Thanks

ram33

not done mine yet but ive just ordered the parts to do it.
you dont need to remove head etc, just split crank cases
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Mustang

FLIP THE ENGINE upside down and use some wood blocking to hold up the opposite end of the crankcase from the cylinders and head . Keeps it balanced and level this way .

Manual says remove the clutch , you don't need to .

when removing and reinstalling the engine in frame , if you loosen the swingarm bolts the engine drops right out and jacks back into place super easy . :thumbsup

beefos

Thanks for the tips guys.
Ram33 how much did all the parts cost you - I 've yet to order them.

ram33

i think it was about £35 for the various gaskets and seals
another £28 for the modified neutral switch plate (it was recommended to change this on my bike as they are prone to warping then your neutral light stops working and needs strip down again. the modified one cures this)
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Sin_Tiger

:iagree do the neutral plate as well if you can, it's a pita when it starts playing up  :icon_study:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

TripleTragic

If you are still looking, try these ones.  It is a Thunderbird engine, but samesame.
http://imgur.com/a/wKc3x#46

Not my photos, just some I am referring to while doing a Speed Triple engine...
Good things come in Threes

beefos

Thanks for the pictures Triple Tragic. I notice the clutch is being removed on these, I understand this is not necessary to do the sprag.
The engine looks nicely balance with the block of wood when upside down.
I'm planning to do this over the UK winter ready for some Spring riding!

beefos

Got waylaid over the winter so just got back to this now...
Engine is now out and splitting the cases tonight.
Managed to snap the 2 centre pot exhaust studs so will have to sort that out on the rebuild.
Must say getting the engine out was easier than expected - thanks to the tips here.
Removed the water pump, alternator and starter motor - wasn't sure if I was supposed to but was easy enough.
I'll report back when further along.

ram33

ive done mine now and all up and running
was quite straight forward to do. best to make sure everything is in labeled bags and take plenty of pics as you go along because you think you will remember how things go back - but you wont
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

beefos

Cheers - got the sprag out now.
Bagged up the bits.

Where is the neutral switch plate? Any pics?

ram33

Quote from: beefos on June 10, 2014, 09:02:16 PM
Cheers - got the sprag out now.
Bagged up the bits.

Where is the neutral switch plate? Any pics?
item 14 on here
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=304166&block_03=23773

are you replacing the sprag or doing the spring repair?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

beefos

Ok got it now - my one is plastic so I guess needs changing.
I'm gonna change the whole sprag.

Next stop the dealers to price up all the bits!

beefos

How difficult is the spring fix on the sprag? Just seen the price of the assembly - not cheap!

ram33

Spring fix was quite easy. There are a few write ups around which tell you
What seal to get the spring from.  Just make sure the spring ends are well fixed together - I soldered it then added some lock tight. If you need any help lmk and I'll find the links
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque