News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Ever-Vexxing Decal Bubbles

Started by ArchRider, August 28, 2013, 08:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchRider

I know there have been a lot of discussions regarding decal bubbles, fuel vapors, and ethanol.  All of the fixes I've seen have been to repaint the tank.  However, I was thinking about creating a mask template, surgically removing the stripe decals, then using the mask to repaint the stripes back onto the tank.

Has anyone else tried this (I haven't seen it) and does anyone think I will get myself into a heap of trouble removing the decals?

Paul

DavidR8

Repaint the decal or just cut them out to apply new ones?
2006 Girly, stone stock!

ArchRider

I was going to repaint them.  The problem seems to stem from fuel vapor leaching through the plastic and getting trapped under the vinyl decal.  I'm figuring if I paint them back on, then they shouldn't bubble.  Also, I wouldn't have to paint the whole tank and the rest of the bike to match.

DavidR8

It would be interesting to see how the goes, particularly achieving the shading that is on the decals.
2006 Girly, stone stock!

deepsouthtiger

Sounds like it could work. The shadowing effect could be achieved with airbrush. ANd I would think (as the rest of the painted tank doesn't bubble, just the decals) it should work a charm.

Post up some pics before and after and all.  :thumbsup

I have just resigned myself to the fact when they get bad enough I am striping her down and doing something along the Military "Flying Tigers" plane theme.  :icon_salut:
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

ArchRider

I suppose I could airbrush in the gradient but I have an '01.  The stripes are solid black, including the "eyelashes."  Therefore, I'll likely just paint them solid.
It'll likely be a month or so before I can get around to it.  I just wanted to see whether anyone else had tried this.
And I'll post pictures when it is finished (even if it's a failure).

Mini Mo

My '99 is starting to get really bad. Since all of my painted parts are pristine, the thought of a repaint sucks. When the timing is right, my thoughts where to wet sand most of the clear off around the sticker area to the point of being able to peel the sticker off without damaging the paint itself. I'm hoping to re-paint the sticker area solid without the shading, re-shoot the whole tank in a few coats of acrylic urethane. I may try to lay the clear on a bit heavier in the painted area to allow me to wet sand with some 1500-2000 to even everything out before polishing.

As I look at the bike, this all sounds great in theory. If I pull it off I'll keep you all posted. If it doesn't work I'll repaint the whole tank and crawl into a hole never to be heard from again!  :icon_cry:
1999 Tiger
2006 KTM 450 EXC
1971 Honda CB750

Sin_Tiger

I would very much doubt the decals will peel off.

Can I suggest rubbing down as you suggest, then very carefully spot rub to get rid of the decals then apply new decals and clear coat. You can get then made to order.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

TigerT

I have a major problem with this and the guy who services the bike tells me one day it will start leaking as he has seen it on a few bikes with plastic tanks. Repainting won't help as it will happen again.
The only answer seems to be to get an unaffected tank and use ethanol free such as BP Ultimate.
A mate of mine rebuild classic bikes where this a major problem with rubber and fibreglass as well.
There is a company that supplies Royal Enfield parts, I think they are called Hitchcocks that do a product that will line the tank and seal it. He has used it and says it works.
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

DavidR8

I've used this product on automotive tanks and was really pleased with the result. Might be worth a look.
http://www.por15.com/US-STANDARD-FUEL-TANK-SEALER_p_64.html
2006 Girly, stone stock!