News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My First Tiger - at last!

Started by DorsetSteamer, September 15, 2013, 10:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DorsetSteamer

Hello all!  :wave

New tiger owner here, after a 5 year wait Ive finally managed to get my hands on a 93 steamer. (hopefully pic attached)

Had a couple of questions however and hopefully this is the right place to post!

Unfortunately someone had dropped it in its past life. Have already had to straighten out the gear leaver and foot peg. Will move on to the scratched up paintwork when i have the time/money!

After digging around to see if there was any further damage I noticed that the numbers stamped on the engine do not match the the last numbers on the VIN plate. So my first question is should they? Have a feeling they should, so my second question is, is there anyway to tell the age of the engine from that number? I guess at least it cant get any older! But would be good to try and find out a bit more about it. My fear is that it wasn't actually dropped and was in fact in some sort of crash. Everything else on the bike seems sound so hopefully that isn't the case.

My other question is, how bad is the side stand? Read a few things on here that would suggest they can give way now and again. Cant really afford a center stand right now but I do know my way around a welder. Are there any proven ways to reinforce the existing stand? Where abouts do they actually give way?

Well I am sure I have many fun hours of riding to come on this bike and already planning some touring trips around Norway for early next year. 

Any info on the above would be great!

Thanks,
Tim

rybes

welcome to the wonderful world of tigers  :thumbsup cant help you with the engine number or the stand issue. if i was to weld my stand up id make a gusset that bridged the part where it bent with a piece of plate shaped to fit the contour of it.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

Quote from: DorsetSteamer on September 15, 2013, 10:54:55 PM

After digging around to see if there was any further damage I noticed that the numbers stamped on the engine do not match the the last numbers on the VIN plate. So my first question is should they? Have a feeling they should,
engine #s DO NOT MATCH VIN #s .........that's how they built them  :thumbsup

Frosties

If you've been waiting 5 years fella then congratulations on buying a cracking bike. Always see other riders eyeing mine up in London (black looks best  :icon_lol: ).

Wasn't aware there was an issue with the side stand. I regularly sit on mine with only the side stand and i'm 6'4 & 18 stone - not so much as a wobble!

Enjoy your bike fella and pop in here with any issues, it's a goldmine of info & experiences  :thumbsup

Ride safe!

With winter coming I've found these to be great last winter http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-Night-Breaker-64193NBP-Headlight/dp/B003Y7FKTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379447581&sr=8-1&keywords=h4+headlight+bulbs

You got street lights down your way or is it still gas  :mut

97tiger885

The side stand will give you warning before it goes.  The stand will bend ever so slightly and the mc will start leaning more and more.  The good thing is it gets easier to get on the mc.  The bad things are it gets harder to get off the stand and the mc is more likely to fall over when parked on a soft surface.  I always use a foot under the stand on ground.

I bought a spare stand anticipating this issue.  The original stand was good for the first 12 years.  I replaced it.  Before hand I compared the two and I couldnt see a difference.  The mc straightened quite a bit with the new stand.  So, whatever changes, it doesnt take much to greatly change the lean angle. 

Sin_Tiger

:eusa_clap  :love10 another Blue one saved from the heathens that would do stupid things with it.

Worth checking the holes and the pin, mine was background worn and needed bushing and a new pin which made a huge difference but there was no doubt the leg was bent as well.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 20, 2013, 09:51:25 PM
:eusa_clap  :love10 another Blue one saved from the heathens that would do stupid things with it.

Mine used to be blue............. :pottytrain2

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: rf9rider on September 21, 2013, 12:59:35 PM
Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 20, 2013, 09:51:25 PM

Mine used to be blue............. :pottytrain2

That was too easy  :icon_wink:

I won't argue it looks fantastic now.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

DorsetSteamer

I did hear the blue ones were by far the fastest and most reliable....

Well thanks chaps for clearing a few things up! Good to know the engine number doesn't match the vin, was worried it had all been chopped and changed a bit.

Will have a good look over the stand. It must be bent somewhere as the stand safety switch doesn't actually engage with the stand when it's down. It does lean a fair amount as well.

One other thing, it's going to need some new rubber soon. Any standard recommendation for a half decent set of tyres?

threepot

I'm on Metz Tourance> Can't fault them.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Frosties

Had Tourances fitted before - no real issues.

Now running on Anakee 3's which are a class above them. These bad boys grip like no tomorrow, laugh at greasy/wet conditions, wear very well, low noise and give excellent feedback - buying another set when they're done!  :thumbsup