News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advice on buying a steamer

Started by fraserdog, September 30, 2013, 11:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 03, 2013, 02:18:57 PM
The engine is supposed to cut out if the sidestand is down, it's a safety feature.  I don't think it's related to the neutral light issue.
the fact that it dies when sidestand goes down means :
sidestand switch is working fine .

so that leaves only relay or neutral switch .

threepot

not a very bad  actual repair
list in over 200,000 combined miles

Thats a fair testimonial! :thumbsup

[/quote]
95 Super111
96 Tiger

fraserdog

The engine is supposed to cut out if the sidestand is down, it's a safety feature.  I don't think it's related to the neutral light issue.

So,let me get this right,if the bike was ticking over in neutral in the upright position and you put the sidestand down the engine is supposed to cut out? is that correct?.My Kawasaki will tick over with the sidestand down but if I were then to put it into gear with the sidestand still down it would then cut out.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Mustang

right thats how the Tiger works too !
sidestand down in neutral engine stays running

in gear needs stand up to stay running
to start in gear you need stand up and clutch pulled in .

the problem is either the relay or the neutral switch .

does the clutch need to be pulled even in neutral to start ?

if you don't get a light for neutral it is easy to change the relay first and if that doesn't cure it .....it's the neutral switch . in the crankcase .............. :icon_frown:

fraserdog

I haven't been to look at the bike yet so unsure about neutral light/clutch in issue,i would assume that these switches can be linked out,i'm used to having bikes with no sidestand interlocks etc so I don't think it would be a problem if they could be linked out.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Mustang

Quote from: fraserdog on October 03, 2013, 07:18:47 PM
i would assume that these switches can be linked out,i'm used to having bikes with no sidestand interlocks etc so I don't think it would be a problem if they could be linked out.
yes

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: fraserdog on October 02, 2013, 10:27:19 PM
I've been I discussion with a chap that has a 96 with 40k on the clock and he doesn't seem to think it has sprag probs but he wasn't 100% sure as he didn't know what it would sound like if it was going but he did say that the engine cuts out if you put the sidestand down even with the bike in neutral,is it an engine strip if it's the neutral light switch?

That'll teach me to go to Specsavers  :icon_razz:

If it doesn't show a neutral light when it clearly is and cuts out when the side stand goes down it's most likely the plastic disc if not the actual switch.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

It could be something as simple as the wiring, either broken or connection needs cleaning where it fits onto the neutral switch, had both faults on both my Steamers.

fraserdog

Well thanks for all the help and advice,after much pondering and deliberation I went out this morning and bought a 2002 955i (Girly),it's in black with full Triumph luggage with inner bags,palmer adjustable screen,engine bars,2 x nearly new Michelin Anakee tyres,32k with service history for £2300,not the cheapest perhaps but it seems a good honest bike,i suppose i better hightail it from the steamer section to the Girly section now  :icon_redface:
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Sin_Tiger

I don't think that's silly money, perhaps more than you originally intended but It sounds like a cared for bike y an owner that knew what he was about, which should give you a bit of confidence.

Anyway. Congratulations and enjoy while there is still some decent weather left  :icon_salut:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fraserdog

I'm picking it up on Saturday and if my luck goes true to form it'll be raining,to that end I will pick it up in my Transit,next job is to clear a space in the garage for it which will be a job well overdue as it's a bit of a tip  :icon_redface:
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a