News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speed Triple handlebars on an 06 tiger

Started by BCtiger, January 04, 2014, 05:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCtiger

Curious to know if anyone has tried putting speed triple bars from a 07 or earlier on a on 06 tiger. They are 7/8", last year for the triple before changing. Bar ends will fit & probably heated grips. They are a bit shorter about an 1" per side. My tiger came with risers installed by PO which I removed & still find the urge to have them a bit lower. I figure with a flatter bar & the risers together I will have reduced the bar height about an inch. Not sure if that loss of width will be uncomfortable.
I have read over the numerous posts regarding ProTaper & Renthal, but they seem like a lot of work & I would like to retain the heated grips.
Thanks.

Randy

DavidR8

Just want to make sure I'm on track: are you saying that striple bars on the stock mounts would only be an inch lower than stock?

I found this post on TriumphRat which has dimensions for 2009 striple bars:
http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/98753-handlebar-diameter-and-replacement-thread-5.html#post1874354

Standard Striple

Bar width: 28.75" - 730mm
Bar rise/height: 2.5" - 63.5mm
Bar pullback/sweep: 4.33" - 110mm
Bar thickness: 7/8" - 22mm

Helpful?
2006 Girly, stone stock!

BCtiger

My plans is to drop the the bar height by an 1" maybe 1.5". I have played with the seat height and still not found the riding position I am looking for. The PO had installed 2" risers which I removed, bars still felt too high. So with a 2" riser & a 2.5" striple bar I am closer to the height I am looking for. The stock bars are 6" I believe.
I was by Savage yesterday and they told me that the heated grips & the Tiger bar ends will probably not work on a striple bars, so maybe Oxfords or heated gloves. Not sure what I will do now.

Sin_Tiger

I think the new Oxford's come in both 22 & 27mm  or use Jester's adapter sleeves :XXcomputer
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

billyfrank

Speed triple bars should work as far as mounting, not sure about the heated grips wiring though.  You can go with an aftermarket bar but keep in mind the wiring for heated grips will have to be changed.  I put Renthals on my bike after I laid it down.  Wired after market grips into the original switch gear.  Renthal will give you a bunch of options though as far as hieght, width, pull back. 

BCtiger

Curious to know whether or not there were increased vibrations thru the bars or were you able to use bar weights. Heated grips, did you use Oxfords or did you drill the bars ? An acquaintance of mine used Suzuki heated grips on his striple but found the heat in them inconsistent.
One of down sides to the striple bars is the bar width, 28.5", tiger is 31" ? Renthals have width options but I am concerdned about the bar ends. Rizoma didn't show width options. Of course now I am looking at every bike out there measuring tape in hand ! I also have the 1050 hand guards on my bike which attach to the bar ends.
Thanks for the feed back.

billyfrank

I actually used the twin wall bar.  Its 1" and tapers to 7/8".  The factory heated grips were trashed from the laydown and the cost was to high for replacement.  I opted for the stick on type and wired them into the existing switch and harness.  You can hardly tell.  The vibes aren't bad, but I will add some aftermarket bar ends before my next big trip. They look super nice.  I need to figure out the pic thing and post it up.
cheers,
Billy

BCtiger

I appreciate the reply. Look forward to seeing a pic when you are able to post one. Did you use new mounts/clamps with the 1" taper to 7'8", or do the factory ones still fit ok ?