News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

05 needs to rev to get started and runs "lumpy"

Started by haggis95, October 15, 2013, 02:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haggis95

I'm used to my bonnie where I just twist and go.

The Tiger seems to need a fair amount of revs to get underway, and also seems to run a bit lumpy under 3500.

I'm wondering whether the PO had a taller sprocket up front, whether I should drop a tooth, or after doing some research I found a dynojet O2 sensor bypass kit that might help.

https://cart.jetkit.com/p-827-sensor-eliminator-o2-oxygen-sensor-eliminator-for-mz-and-triumph.aspx

Any thoughts?
There's a Tiger in my garage

haggis95

Bixxer Bob

Well Grasshopper, you are at the beginning of a very long journey where you will gain much wisdom, have many dissapointments and be severely tested but will gain great character.

Seriously:

1.  That will not solve your problem, it's only use is to prevent the ECU trimming itself, but you don't want to freeze it while it's rough do you?

2.   Tuneboy is very expensive, TuneECU is free; all you need is a cable. Look in the stickies to find the links and read everything you can. Twice. Then ask idiot questions about bits you don't understand before you use it.

3.   Before diving in a playing in the ECU you MUST make sure the following are spot on:

a.     Valve clearance.  Daunting if you've not done it before but straight forward. Loads of spanner virgins have managed with help from here.

b.     New plugs, change them with the valve clearance.

c.     Throttle body balance.  This is critical. Near enough won't do, Girlies are hyper sensitive to this.

d.     May as well fit a new oil filter, oil and air filter while you are in there then you have a baseline.

e.     Check the small corrugated pipes from the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) to the throttle bodies for leaks as they split in the corrugations. Take them off one at a time, put your thumb over one end and blow down the other.  If they are not a tight fit on the spiggots, replace them with pieces of 5mm silicone vacuum tube.

f.      Use TuneECU to check the functionality of the IACV.

Bet you're sorry you asked now eh? :icon_rolleyes:

It seems a lot of work, but you have to be sure the basics are right first. You can't cure a bad handling bike by upgrading the suspension if it has a flat tyre can you?

Be aware though, that pretty much all Tigers are a bit rough 2-3000 rpm so if that's all you have wrong,  you aren't going to fix it unless you have a dyno, TuneECU and a lot of time.  Check the front spocket as you suspect, if it's 19 that's the preferred one, standard is 18. But 19 needs the airbox mod, which is in the "how to" sticky.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haggis95

OK - if that's what it takes....

I have modded previous bikes, but what I would like to do is get this one just humming.

Thanks for the great info.

Bixxer Bob

I have a map that works for me, and Metalguru has a good one too, sadly my bike doesn't seem to like his map.  If you're happy playing with fuel maps you'll be fine with TuneECU  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...