News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First impressions

Started by fraserdog, October 17, 2013, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

Well I bought the Tiger last Saturday and it has rained everyday since except today,i took it for my first short ride today (20 odd miles) and just a couple of niggles,when decelerating it seems to pop and backfire a bit and it does it when you rev it out of gear staitionary too,when on a light throttle setting around 2000-3000 rpm it seems to be a little hesitant with a bit of surging but it pulls clean from any rpm under load,also the rear brake pedal seems to be quite difficult to get my foot on (long way down from the footpeg and tucked under the clutch housing),are these normal traits for a Girly?,other than that i'm impressed so far. :icon_smile:
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

Sounds like my map  :icon_lol:,have you done the blanking plate yet because you certainly haven't read the how to!!! because the answer to the back brake is in there  :icon_rolleyes:

fraserdog

I can't access the brake pedal thread in the "how to" as it says file not found,the previous owner very recently fitted a K&N air filter to the bike so would the bike need the "12 minute tune"? I've read the threads on it and not sure if it applies to my Tiger (2002).The hesitation at 2000-3000 rpm points towards the TPS but I don't want to start pulling the bike apart at this early stage of ownership,i think over the winter months i'll check the throttle bodies for sync and rule that out first.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

The backfire is completely normal for a stock tune.  You have to richen it up using TuneECU to stop that happening.  The hesitation is also normal - depending on how bad it is.  When I did my TPS it was horrendous, but I proved it was faulty using an oscilloscope before buying a new one.  It's taken Metalguru and me hours of faffing around with various tunes to understand what's happening and smooth some of it out.  Don't just throw parts at it hoping for a fix, you'll be disappointed.

Even after smoothing mine, it doesn't stay that way.  Over a few weeks it creeps back to how it was before I started.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

You know BB until I had this map blown in a few weeks ago mine has never done it ever.

While in Spain at times at low speed it ran like an absolute bag of spanners,having had the bike so long I wasn't all that bothered more irritated than anything knowing full well that it could be sorted,but come back here and runs like a charm having fitted the new R/R and done the SS mod better than ever  :icon_scratch:

Chris Canning

Nope rear brake link doesn't work for either,I've a better photo somewhere but this will have to do

Go the back of the brake lever and behind the heel plate you'll find an adjuster,pull the clip off and pull the pin out,that will allow you to turn the thread on the adjustment take it as far as you dare to the last bit of thread and then put it all back.

Oh and don't ever be tempted to buy the new shaped rear brake lever their crap.

Found it there you go.

fraserdog

Thanks very much for that,is there anyway or has anyone made anything to make the footplate wider as aswell as finding the pedal too low I find I have to cant my foot inwards to operate the pedal and i'm worried in an emergency situation my foot might slip off.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

There is, look for a post by Black Tiger,but if you raise the brake pedal your foot won't be slipping of,not unless you have the newer rounded version,I bought one and I could never get my foot on it,well not when I needed too  :icon_biggrin:

fraserdog

No I have the original flat footplate one,i'll get the height right first and see how it goes from there.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 17, 2013, 07:20:11 PM
You know BB until I had this map blown in a few weeks ago mine has never done it ever.

While in Spain at times at low speed it ran like an absolute bag of spanners,having had the bike so long I wasn't all that bothered more irritated than anything knowing full well that it could be sorted,but come back here and runs like a charm having fitted the new R/R and done the SS mod better than ever  :icon_scratch:

What voltage do you have off the new reg rec Chris, and what's the SS mod?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Quote from: fraserdog on October 17, 2013, 11:01:44 PM
No I have the original flat footplate one,i'll get the height right first and see how it goes from there.

Don't bother adjusting the height, just get a set of Mustang pegs and they will "adjust" the pedal for you. They are an inch lower and wider and along with a new rear shock are the best mod I ever made to my Tiger, so much more comfortable.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 17, 2013, 11:38:02 PM
Quote from: Chris Canning on October 17, 2013, 07:20:11 PM

What voltage do you have off the new reg rec Chris, and what's the SS mod?

With the new R/R and the Sasquatch mod with the lights off the best I saw was 14.9v and with the lights on it was mid to high 13's

Bixxer Bob

Gonna have to do mine I think, barely 13v without SS mod and 15v with it  :bug_eye