News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

car tire for a pusher

Started by Mustang, October 30, 2013, 04:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

195/45-17 Yokohama S-Drive car tire fits very nicely on a 3 spoke Trophy rim .
Bolts right on to the steamer with room to spare for the chain and swingarm.
Handles oh so nice and the mileage from the tire is in the 20-30 k range instead of only 2- 3 k with a more expensive bike tire .
Another added bonus is much better traction off road , compared to the very small contact patch a bike tire gives on the hack .
I would say it is a must do mod if you are going to have three legs.

another added bonus is without modding anything a trophy three spoke will bolt right onto the rear of a Girly (1999-2004) bike also . but not on the 05's or 06's 

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

John Stenhouse

Mmm, think I'm going to have to try this three legged business. Watsonian and squire are six miles away so a trip to Blockley might be planned if the weather improves.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

Hi John

it's not for everyone .........
it seems there are two ways to go you either love it or hate it .
they go great in a straight line .
steering can be a little on the heavy side .
properly set up though and the rig corners great ............most of the time.
occasionally you will find a right hand turn (left hand for folks who ride on the other side of the road ) that she will want to just plow through to the other lane . :bug_eye
you learn how to read the road , ie if the roadbed leans into the turn as a good roadway should it is effortless to turn . flat corners or roads that lean out opposite of the turn are where things go bad for right turns (left for UK)
My tiger with the chair is pretty well set up and it's seen better than a ton on the interstates with no ill handling at all .
two lane backroads will sometimes get ya though .
and off road is certainly exiting when the terrain gets uneven . :bad

:love10 it haven't ridden tigger two with the 17 inch wheels in more than a year now . the sidecar gets the call every time .

Sin_Tiger

Just checking, you put the 195/45-17 Yoko on a 5.5 rim?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

:nod

trophy three spoke and balanced it with dynabeads .

was a bit of a pain in the ass to get the last bit of the bead over the rim .

it's wearing like iron , shows no wear at all so far after approx. 5500 miles and I would have had two 185/50-17 bike tires go bald in the center already after the summer miles

Bixxer Bob

Car tyres pushing a car would give around 20k I guess.  On a sidecar outfit, it should last for ever.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

That's the plan. I have 7 bald ones front & rear sitting outside the garage from the last 15 k miles.
Now running car tires on rear and on the chair with an dedicated Avon sidecar tire on the front.
Fingers crossed.

Marc

Quotebalanced it with dynabeads

does this also work with inner tubes?
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Mustang on November 04, 2013, 01:32:40 PM
:nod

was a bit of a pain in the ass to get the last bit of the bead over the rim .

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151971877183522&set=vb.383848185058538&type=2&theater

Icelanders do it all the time.  They run pressures so low on the deep snow that tyres come off the rim.  They use this way to put the tyre back on the rim without removing the wheel.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: Marc on November 05, 2013, 09:10:23 AM
Quotebalanced it with dynabeads

does this also work with inner tubes?
certainly does ...........
I've got dynabeads in all my bikes tubed or tubeless , never a problem and the wheels are ALWAYS balanced .

BB,
seating the bead was not an issue on the trophy rim , the problem was getting that last bit of the tire onto the rim with the spoons .

Sin_Tiger

I agree, big fan of dynabeads myself  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint