News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mikuni Carbs with Dynojet fuel/air mixture setting?

Started by GermanTigger, October 31, 2013, 12:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanTigger

Hello everyone, got a 97 steamer that has a dynojet installed (previous owner). Was doing some maintenance (new air filter, plugs, new Carb rubber boots between carb-head and air filter). Since you have to dissemble everything to get to the airbox!! I was wondering what should I set the mixture screw to before assembling everything? How many turns? Also how do I get to the 2 mixture screws (I know the 3rd is done by the idle screw) once the bike is running to fine tune?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
German in Texas riding a British bike.. Globalization!
97 Triumph Tiger
77 BMW R100/7

Mustang

the screws you are thinking are mixture screws are for the carb sync if you moved them you are fucked until you get a carb tune stick  to set all three cyl. at the same hg pressure (vacuum) .
the middle cyl. is controlled by the main idle adjustment and the two outer carbs are controlled by the screw on each carbs linkage . what this does is set all the butterflies to open at the exact same time when twisting the grip.
the pilot (idle) mixture screws are on the bottom front of each carb , and if never messed with will be under a sealed plug to keep anyone from tampering with them. all three carbs are the same .
the pilot mixture screws are ideally set when the bike is running. at idle . it takes an experienced ear to set them or a O2 gauge screwed into the bung holes on the header pipes .

a dyna jet kit wont do shit for hp on a steamer without doing some exhaust and air intake mods .
a stock steamer will run better with the mikunis left alone .

GermanTigger

Mustang thanks for the wisdom!! I will get them synced when all put together, by a professional then.  Not a fan of dynojet but the bike came with it and has yoshi cans on her. When looking her over saw he had both air chambers open as well. Found a cap to cap off the right hand one. Pulled the plugs tonite, real pain if you don't have tool kit. Found a 18 mm deep socketade by emgo which worked well though. Spark plugs were black... Running rich like I suspected.

Any other suggestions on what to do before putting everything together and taking her for carb sync?
97 Triumph Tiger
77 BMW R100/7

Mustang

Quote from: GermanTigger on October 31, 2013, 01:26:01 AMSpark plugs were black... Running rich like I suspected.

Any other suggestions on what to do before putting everything together and taking her for carb sync?
yeah yank the mains and put in 105's (stock for mikuni)
make sure the pilots are #40
hope that the slides haven't been drilled (usual dyno jet trick)
set the needle clips in the middle notch.
cap the right hand snorkel
in other words return it to stock config

GermanTigger

That's what I figured. Thanks Mustang. One quick question to ride her the next few weeks what should I adjust the mixture screws to with my set up?
97 Triumph Tiger
77 BMW R100/7

Mustang

being overly rich i'd go back to stock NOW

you should be able to source some mains and pilots at ANY good bike shop.

when you got it back to stock jets and needles in middle  clip set the mixture screws at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns
she should be real close .

ssevy

I read somewhere that you can use a small diameter drill to preset the butterfly openings. Carbtune is the way to go for final setting.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

GermanTigger

Thanks for all the inputs! She is running again after I put everything back together. Now found a coolant leak in the overflow reservoir. Ah the beauty of taming a British princess!
97 Triumph Tiger
77 BMW R100/7