News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Standard can/TOR can

Started by fraserdog, November 03, 2013, 10:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

I will be getting a used stanadard can at the weekend for a very reasonable price and after looking at the "how to" section i'm going to try and knock the restrictor plates out of it,is it going to make it basically a TOR can or is there more to it than that?
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

motoOzarks

more noise

burrdinburrdin

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

jch

Quote from: fraserdog on November 03, 2013, 10:01:21 PM
I will be getting a used stanadard can at the weekend for a very reasonable price and after looking at the "how to" section i'm going to try and knock the restrictor plates out of it,is it going to make it basically a TOR can or is there more to it than that?

I had the same question in an earlier post but got no response. I am thinking I would like to drill a couple of holes thru the restrictor plate to make it a bit louder than stock but not as load as a TOR can. Anybody with an opinion?  Thx.

fraserdog

Well i'm picking the can up on Saturday,let the bashing begin! I'll let you know how it turns out.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

Is it worth the bother at the price you can buy real one for,I know money is tight but come on  :icon_rolleyes:

fraserdog

It was £20 with the heatshield on so it's got to be worth a go at that price.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

Must be me  :icon_redface: proper open can with an offroad map you know exactly where you are well sort of  :icon_wink:

motoOzarks

I'm for sure going to tame my TOR can down a bit.  Maybe stuff some muffler packing in there.  I love the sound but it's a bit loud around the neighborhood and I bet long distance could get a bit old.
I think I recall reading a post that indicated the TOR map would work fine with a stock exhaust.
There is a chance I would swap my TOR for a stock exhaust if the opportunity arose.
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Bixxer Bob

I'd go back to a standard pipe if I could without taking a BHP drop.  The Blueflame is neater and I like the noise it makes (with the baffles in) but on long trips and around the neighbours early morning or late evening, it's a bit much.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jch

I have 2 standard cans and am looking to turn one them into something in between the standard and the TOR.  I do not want the loudness of a TOR just looking for a little more rumble.  If anyone has drilled a couple of holes in the plate in a standard can I would be interested in the result.  Would also be interested if anyone thinks this would require a different map.  Thanks for any info. 

Chris Canning

The bottom line if you want to start tinkering off the beaten track then you have to do your own thing let us know how you get on but to have any idea you'll need with and without the TOR map there's quite a difference performance wise with the right can.

jch

Quote from: Chris Canning on November 06, 2013, 11:17:07 PM
The bottom line if you want to start tinkering off the beaten track then you have to do your own thing let us know how you get on but to have any idea you'll need with and without the TOR map there's quite a difference performance wise with the right can.

I can "do my own thing"  I am simply asking if someone else has already done it and if so what their results were.
What I would love is for someone to say:  I drilled a couple of holes, did not change the map, got a bit louder note and no change in performance.

If I get no response I will likely try it anyway and then I can report back for the next person.

madcow

Quote from: motoOzarks on November 06, 2013, 09:14:07 PM

I'm for sure going to tame my TOR can down a bit.  Maybe stuff some muffler packing in there.  I love the sound but it's a bit loud around the neighborhood and I bet long distance could get a bit old.
I think I recall reading a post that indicated the TOR map would work fine with a stock exhaust.
There is a chance I would swap my TOR for a stock exhaust if the opportunity arose.
Private message . Coming your way.
FARMING IN IOWA OUTSTANDING IN MY FIELD

Chris Canning

Quote from: jch on November 06, 2013, 11:26:43 PM
Quote from: Chris Canning on November 06, 2013, 11:17:07 PM

I can "do my own thing"  I am simply asking if someone else has already done it and if so what their results were.
What I would love is for someone to say:  I drilled a couple of holes, did not change the map, got a bit louder note and no change in performance.

If I get no response I will likely try it anyway and then I can report back for the next person.

If you go into search you'll  find over the years it's been done many times.

metalguru

Here is the How To

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,72545#72545

The TOR map is good for this mod but be prepared to do the airbox baffle removal and another inlet hole is advisable at the front of the airbox to get any noticeable difference in performance. Also some 'trimming' and adjusting of the map variables will be needed to get the best running.

TBH if all you want is more noise, yes it does make slightly more noise than std. The TOR can has a larger diameter pipe running through it so is louder. The best all round solution is an aftermarket can which not only boost power with the TOR map, and sounds good too.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.