News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Grrr... my Girly is marking the driveway!

Started by DavidR8, November 29, 2013, 07:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidR8

My 2006 Girly has had a bit of an oil leak since I got her in July.

I replaced the o-ring on the alternator position sensor. That helped.

I replaced the oil pressure sensor and sealing rings. Helped for a while but the leak came back. I snugged it down last night and wiped the case clean. It was pitch black when I got home tonight but I think I saw a trace of oil...  :icon_scratch:

Iv'ed studied the manual  :icon_study: and aside from the pressure sensor switch and return line from the head I don't see where else the oil could come from...

The oil shows up on the flat area directly behind the cylinder block then goes left and down the side of the case behind the fuel tank vent hoses.

I haven't had the tank off to look down at the area but I'd love to hear your learned perspectives...

2006 Girly, stone stock!

metalguru

Check the engine breather hose is connected to the airbox on the right rear of the airbox.
This is accessible by removing the black filler panel on the right tank side.
Some pictures may help.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

DavidR8

2006 Girly, stone stock!

metalguru

This is only a guess but the washers need to be replaced that seals the oil pressure switch. They are simple copper washers. It may be a good idea to lift the switch cover and clean all oil off with some petrol or degreaser and run it again as a small amount of oil goes a very long way. At the very most the switch may have sprung a leak which means replacement. This switch must not be over tightened as it can warp and leak or even break, if replacing anything in this area a torque value should be observed. 
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

DavidR8

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have replaced the pressure sensor and included new copper washers since those photos were taken.

It was dark when I was riding home last night but I thought the car headlights were showing a bit of the trademark green Motul oil... To be completely honest it may be just left over that I wasn't able to clean off.

Just wanted to know if there could be any other potential source in that area...
2006 Girly, stone stock!

DavidR8

I solved the problem by snugging down the sensor. No fuss, no muss. Best of all no oil!
2006 Girly, stone stock!