News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Proper 3 spoke conversion

Started by GavD, December 01, 2013, 04:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Quote from: chrisw on December 15, 2013, 05:24:02 AM
Hi ....... Just to bring myself up to speed .... Is the plan to fit later bottoms to the early steamer forks making fitting the wheels easier ?
Im new to this but very interested
Ta
Chris

Plan is to fit the early Steamer stanchions to the Sprint lowers so he can fit the 3 spoke wheels, as the later Steamer forks are not suitable for the conversion.

GavD

Fingers crossed they turn up before xmas as I've pretty much got everything else sorted and this is now holding me up. Got a week off work over xmas and I've been promised a day in the garage to get it sorted.

RF, how have you secured the lower end of the gaitors to the fork bottom, as the sprint ones are bigger and the gaitors don't slide over. Or have you just left them floating?
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

rf9rider

I bought some aftermarket gaiters, they fit nicely over the bottoms without anything securing them.

rybes

yeah they look the ones. was just about to add i have a set if you get stuck but you found some  :thumbsup. jus wait till youve finsihed the conversion and go out on it the first time. itll actually stop  :bug_eye
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

GavD

That's what I'm hoping for Rybes, got a tidy set of the 4 pot calipers and a set of venhill lines. Also bought a 5/8ths master cylinder and replaced the internals with new.

Forks on their way, should be delivered Mon. Can't see her indoors letting me crack on with it xmas eve/day, so hopefully end of next week I can get them all swapped over and start building it back up again.

I'm looking at possibly trying to get to the Tiger meet next year, so hopefully I can thank you fellas in person with a pint or two of liquid refreshment.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: GavD on December 18, 2013, 11:05:34 AM
Can't see her indoors letting me crack on with it xmas eve/day,

Bummer :violent1 all the other kids will be playing with their new toys.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

:wheel  < GavD on his freshly booted tiger note the grin

GavD

Update: Forks arrived yesterday, much earlier than they said.  I was on call last night for the leccy company I work for and ended up working most of the night getting power lines back up, so ended up with some unexpected free time today to tinker.

Right hand fork was no problem, stripped and swapped over to the sprint lowers in about an hour.

Left hand fork not so good -  :icon_frown: when I stripped the Sprint fork down a week or so ago the stanchion didn't slide too well and the fork seal retaining spring showed signs of rust which when I got further in had migrated and caused some corrosion further in. Anyway I thought a good clean up might do the trick, but when I put the tiger stanchion in today, there were a couple of tight spots in the travel area. I used the old sprint stanchion & bush to try and work it a bit to see if it freed up a bit, but no joy. And it gets even tighter once you start to locate the top bush in place. So it looks like I'm in the market for a left hand fork leg now.........  one bonus I suppose is that at least last nights overtime will mean there's a bit of cash to pay for it.

World of triumph want £300 for a new 'un, so think I'll be trawling fleabay again.

rybes

as the fork bottom is ally i reckon if you got a/some scotchbrite pad and wrapped it round a stick till it was a tight fit in the leg i reckon itll clean up. if it dont work at least it was worth a go n might save ya a few quid. as scotchbrites are plastic it wont damage the ally

GavD

rf9rider

You could try using some grinding paste on the Sprint stanchion and bush if the scotchbrite doesn`t work.

Sin_Tiger

:iagree
Quote from: rf9rider on December 19, 2013, 11:44:38 PM
You could try using some grinding paste on the Sprint stanchion and bush if the scotchbrite doesn`t work.

You're not having a lot of luck mate  :icon_cry: on the bright side, at least it's not slack.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 20, 2013, 06:32:48 AM
:iagree
Quote from: rf9rider on December 19, 2013, 11:44:38 PM

You're not having a lot of luck mate  :icon_cry: on the bright side, at least it's not slack.

Well, not slack yet anyway. Go easy with the abrading.... yiu can take metal out, but you can't put it back :BangHead
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

akendall1966

Before you go remove metal on the leg are you 100% sure the stanchion is straight? Slight curve will cause it to tighten the further  it goes into the slider.
----AK-----

GavD

It don't matter which stanchion I use, it's tight with all of 'em. Also the bush that was on the bottom of the sprint stanchion that came out of it was not looking too good, almost like the outside surface had some sort of covering that has gone bad in some way.
I'm gonna try some scotchbrite first but i've also bought some fine cleaning past I was gonna try if Rybes's scotchbrite idea doesn't work. I was also considering using toothpaste which is a fine polishing paste.
See pics below for paste and the lower bush.
Any thoughts fellas?

I'm obviously not gonna re-use the bush that came out of the fork, the replacement Tiger ones I bought have much better ones that almost look new.