News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Proper 3 spoke conversion

Started by GavD, December 01, 2013, 04:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

It looks like the same nylon-like layer bonded to the bush that I found on the bushes of my Blackbird when I changed them.  They were in much better condition that those....

I seem to remember on the Blackbird bushes the nylon was on the outside (like yours shown) on the bottom bushes and the inside on the top ones.  I assumed it to be for oil retention to reduce friction.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

These polymer coatings on bronze bushings are quite common now. The principle is to increase initial conformity and reduce stiction.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

No joy with the scotchbrite and paste :icon_mad:, so I've ordered a LH fork from Sprint manufacturing.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

GavD

Quote from: rf9rider on December 15, 2013, 08:19:17 PM
I bought some aftermarket gaiters, they fit nicely over the bottoms without anything securing them.

RF,
Have you got a link? Or are they for a certain bike?

Ta
Gav

rf9rider

I got them off Ebay.

I`ll have a look through and let you know.

GavD

akendall1966

Bushes are known as DU bushes if you didn't know. Mild steel case with bronze then PTFE bearing layers like most bearings readily available in std sizes. They could be OEM specials but worth measuring and checking with simplybearings.com as there typically £3-6 delivered from them.
----AK-----

rf9rider

Had a look back through my old Ebay stuff, can`t find them.

Just measure the stanchion width, then measure across the top of the actual fork leg, measure the length required then search Ebay with your measurements.

chrisw

Quote from: akendall1966 on December 25, 2013, 08:22:05 PM
Bushes are known as DU bushes if you didn't know. Mild steel case with bronze then PTFE bearing layers like most bearings readily available in std sizes. They could be OEM specials but worth measuring and checking with simplybearings.com as there typically £3-6 delivered from them.

I sell Du bushes at work ....... let me know the details and Ill check em out

GavD

Quote from: rf9rider on December 25, 2013, 09:18:46 PM

Just measure the stanchion width, then measure across the top of the actual fork leg, measure the length required then search Ebay with your measurements.

Cheers for looking RF,
I'll wait until I get the other fork sorted then I can get the bike back down on it's wheels to take some length measurements. As my set up is going to be pretty similar to yours, I was hoping you'd come up with an easy 'click here' option for me, I've done a bit of googling, but there aren't many options for 43mm forks & 62mm bottoms, they either appear to be far too short or too long. I reckon I'm looking about 250mm long from the top of the fork bottom to the bottom of the extra yoke that mounts the mudguard.

Now, where's that fork ............... come on Santa you're late!!

ram33

Quote from: GavD on December 27, 2013, 01:53:13 PM
Quote from: rf9rider on December 25, 2013, 09:18:46 PM

Cheers for looking RF,
I'll wait until I get the other fork sorted then I can get the bike back down on it's wheels to take some length measurements. As my set up is going to be pretty similar to yours, I was hoping you'd come up with an easy 'click here' option for me, I've done a bit of googling, but there aren't many options for 43mm forks & 62mm bottoms, they either appear to be far too short or too long. I reckon I'm looking about 250mm long from the top of the fork bottom to the bottom of the extra yoke that mounts the mudguard.

Now, where's that fork ............... come on Santa you're late!!
are these any good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Fork-Gaiters-40mm-x-60mm-x-210mm-/321277301999?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4acd9e94ef
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

GavD

I think they're gonna end up being a bit short. Also the fork stanchions are 43mm so I think that may be stretching it a bit. I'll wait till I can make some accurate measurements.

rf9rider

I`ll measure mine up over the weekend and let you know. :thumbsup

GavD

Thanks,

Thought I'd better post some photos to sparkle things up a bit.

My one legged tigger now has yokes all in place and hopefully tightened up enough. I'm using the original Adventurer risers but will need some additional ones to bring the bars back to me a bit as these ones sit a bit more forward than the originals.

Got the additional top yoke in place with the mudguard & this morning got the brakes all done and bled & new pads. Brake lines are an amalgamation of the Venhill set-up I had before and the HEL over the top loop that came with the calipers. Gonna see how the over the top looks once it's all together as it will obviously be an underneath the mudguard loop with my high mudguard.

rybes

gettin closer everday now till ya can get out on it  :hat10 bet ya cant wait
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)