News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pannier options

Started by Tripodtiger, December 11, 2013, 09:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripodtiger

G'day
I've not long bought myself an '02 955i.

The previous owner managed to locate a 2nd hand panniers from a wrecker.  When they arrived the right side pannier was junk.
I bought it before he got around to doing anything with it, apart from mounting the oem pannier carriers.

I've been searching ebay, gumtree, find-a-part and several forums for a right side pannier, or a set, without success.

This morning I got the reply frommy dealer that the panniers are no longer available from Triumph.
And none of the dealers here have a set in their dead stock.

That leaves me with after market alternatives.

What I'd like to know / see is what others have done with their non-genuine panniers - hard case or soft bags.

I've looked briefly at Wolfman racks, so far I can't find a mount for anything older than the 800XC

Touratech, with Zega cases, will set me back close to $2k.

(I think it was) SW-Motech were over $2k. :bug_eye

I have some Andy Straps Expedition (soft) panniers that I've used for the past 7 years on my Katos.

I'd need some throw over pannier frames to keep them stable.

Any suggestions & photos, please?
cheers
rayb
'73 RD250, '80 XS11, '81 RD350LC,
'96 Steamer - 'Tiger Trek' outfit.
'02 Girly - 'Envy'
"Faster Daddy, Faster!" (aged 7?)

Sin_Tiger

Have a look at the Adventure Spec Magadan set, they might suit you and are reasonablypriced. Kriega now do adaptable racks that are designed to take a range of their bags abs other accessories which gives you a bit more fflexibility although a bit pricier.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tripodtiger

Thanks for the info.

That'd be these:-
http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/adventure-spec-magadan-panniers.html

Look almost identical to the current Andy Strapz Expedition panniers.  I think Steel Pony also use the same basic design.

My Expedition panniers are essentially that, except they are 7 years old, having done many thousands of km without much wear & tear - even though I have thrown them at the scenery quite a bit.
And I have the photos  :icon_redface:

To go that way - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it - I need some side racks.

The Kreiga Overlander panniers look the business, but still require a basic frame to mount onto, at least that's how I interpret my reading of the pages.
http://www.kriega.us/overlander-60-adventure-dual-sport-motorcycle-panniers/
I have a Kriega tool belt - bloody good thing it is too.

Is this our 'market economy' in action?  As soon as something becomes last years model, manufacturing of spares & accessories falls over.

cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

Sin_Tiger

I'd say you probably hit the nail on the head on all the above.

If you're going to stick with soft bags and have no intention of mounting poser cases, I'd suggest just making simple support frames. From what a I've seen of your skills the end result is likely to turn out better than anything you can buy  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tripodtiger

I don't have any skills.
I just know people who do!

That's the problem with being an 'academic' student at school.  One is never encouraged to take on practical subjects.  And, when one winds up in the mid 30s with the need or desire to do practical stuff, one hasn't got the foggiest!

Geez, I wish I had done engineering 35 years ago.
Actually, I wish I knew what engineering was 35 years ago!

I like the line about 'poser boxes'.  It may be the way I'll end up - the missus wants her hair dryer secure.
:icon_salut: yes, ma'am.
cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

Tripodtiger

I ended up buying a pair of Hepco & Bekker pannier frames.
Given it's Christmas, they may neot be here until January.

At this stage, that will give me the option of using the soft pannier and getting onto some aluminium 'poser boxes'.  I expect that will happen & I'll pick up an Oz made pair.
cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

Tripodtiger

Hepco & Bekker pannier frames.  They went on quite easily.

Australian made MTB aluminium panniers.
35 litre on the right
45 litre on the left.

Almost managed to get them square.  A mate & I spent ages trying to get the right one properly aligned with the left one. Reckon we missed by a millimetre but, across the length of the panniers, that makes about 3 or 4mm.  I can see it.

All up cost was around $1100.  So I saved something between $900 to $1100 and they are mis-aligned by a couple of mm.

It's all good. :pimp
cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

birddogone

Hey, That project has a good ending, new bags look great!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Sin_Tiger

Yup,  :thumbsup and boxes dint look poserish at all   :bad

ArchRider

I really like those soft panniers on the Tiger.  Although, at the moment with kids, I'm not doing too much serious off-road adventuring.  One thing I do like about my roulette green poser boxes though is that when she decides to take a nap, they lift her up a little to help hauling her back up.  I know the eaier solution is don't let her lie down but everyone on here knows they like to. :icon_wink:

chappers

i went for a cheap alternative . i bought a set of throw over panniers for £ 40, so to stop them burning on the exhaust and on the left hand side floppin close to the wheel . i had these made and they work a treat.

notice the holes in the brackets . thats so i can use bungees to hold it all in place.

ArchRider

Chappers - clever solution and likely far less than buying a rack off the shelf, eh?  Besides, dual sports look more adventurous when they appear to be held together with bungies. :thumbsup

chappers

lol i am a Yorkshireman. i just didn't fancy paying silly prices for hard luggage . so i thought this was my best option and it really works a treat. the only problem i had was getting the exhaust nut back on with the bracket.

this was taken last year on the way back down from the north of scotland.

ArchRider

Looks great, man!  Especially the black on black.  How well do they keep out the rain?  A rider is going to get caught in the rain every now and then, even when planning otherwise.
I think I know which way I'm going if my hard cases ever go south.

chappers

the panniers came with a plastic over cover which lasted up there but ripped on way home. but i will always use a black dustbin bag inside the pannier to keep my stuff dry. (learnt that in the army the hard way lol)