News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rims suitable for going tubeless...

Started by nickjtc, December 12, 2013, 01:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Ref the Scottoiler,  I had the plastic two nib version which my Blackbird ate the first time out, so I fabricated one out of small gauge brass tube from a model aircraft shop.  I had one piece about 6mm dia that would fit the Scottoiler plastic tube soldered onto a mounting bracket shaped to the swinging arm and soldered two 2mm brass tubes inside it and then shaped them accordingly.  The plastic end nibs fit on the brass tubes and the whole thing stays put far better than the original.  I think there's a post on here somewhere...

Found it: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10778.msg79892.html#msg79892
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

That's a nifty set up. Must admit that on the 6 or 7 bikes on which I have installed a Scottoiler I have never used a two spout delivery end. The single end on the outside of the sprocket always seems to do the job because the Scottoil (or whatever else I am using) migrates along the rollers to the inside of the chain.

Except, however, in the case of the XR650 where if the chain gets too dusty/dirty before there is a good coverage it will impede the progress of the oil. I contacted Mark at Scottoiler about that (and what a helpful chap he is  :thumbsup) and he said that they had heard of the issue with bikes being ridden in dusty conditions. The solution was either to do the double ended delivery spout or to give the chain a wipe before riding so that it starts in a moderately dust-free condition.

For the installation on Stanley I am mounting the RMV on the inside of the left hand engine protectors the PO has fitted. That provides a convenient location for the vacuum line from the Number 1 carb and a direct run back to the sprocket.

Pictures will follow.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

cba191

'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Mustang

Quote from: cba191 on February 19, 2014, 09:27:34 AM
Has anyone used this?  I'm debating whether or not to order.  It looks like it might be a good, simple (albeit a little pricey) option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tubeless-kit-for-TIGER-955i-Front-19-2-5-Rear-17-4-25-MT-No-FR354-OUTEX-/301090611393?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461a6620c1
see that word in the menu above that says "SEARCH"....................

well using 1word it pulls up exactly what you wanted ................

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13178.0/topicseen.html#msg96765

use the search function , although it may be "new" to you new guys , it's probably been done or discussed a long time ago . We are cutting edge like that  :ImaPoser

Sin_Tiger

:ImaPoser beat me to it. You're up late, or very early  :sleepy1
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Has anyone used this?

I had thought about that, and it seems to be a well received procedure.

cba191

Quote from: Mustang on February 19, 2014, 01:47:42 PM
Has anyone used this?  I'm debating whether or not to order.  It looks like it might be a good, simple (albeit a little pricey) option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tubeless-kit-for-TIGER-955i-Front-19-2-5-Rear-17-4-25-MT-No-FR354-OUTEX-/301090611393?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461a6620c1
see that word in the menu above that says "SEARCH"....................

well using 1word it pulls up exactly what you wanted ................

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13178.0/topicseen.html#msg96765

use the search function , although it may be "new" to you new guys , it's probably been done or discussed a long time ago . We are cutting edge like that  :ImaPoser
I've read that about a dozen times. I posted because I was wondering if anyone else had used it. Thanks though.  That thread was what got me thinking about it. My problem is I either over think things or jump the gun. I think it's my add.
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

nickjtc

So, since riding time is fast approaching, I have decided to investigate the 2-3psi per week leak from the front tyre since I did the tubed-to-tubeless conversion last year. The most obvious place for a leak is either around the valve stem and where it pokes through the rim, or where the spokes/nipples do ditto.

Turns out that there are several minute leaks around the bead of the tyre. When I prepped the rim for mounting the tyres I gave the bead area a good scrub, but obviously not enough! I will probably need new tyres this year so will address the issue then. I did 10,300km last year on the conversion and apart from checking the pressures on a regular basis and topping up when necessary (I carry a portable compressor with me at all times) there have been no other issues.............. except a rear Tourance NEXT which is so square that the wheel stands up by itself when it is off the bike!

Sin_Tiger

Some tyre beads are not very compliant, use some rubberised bead sealer rather than the more common "mounting paste".
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 08, 2015, 10:03:45 PM
Some tyre beads are not very compliant, use some rubberised bad sealer rather than the more common "mounting paste".

I must confess that I have never had a situation where a mounted tubeless tyre lost air from the bead. Having discovered that the Tiger rims will take tubeless tyre I have to admit being a bit sceptical..... but then again if the tyre seats itself with a satisfying 'pop' why should there be an issue? I've never heard of 'mounting paste'  or 'bead sealer' so will look into it.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickjtc on March 09, 2015, 12:27:05 AM

I must confess that I have never had a situation where a mounted tubeless tyre lost air from the bead.

I have, more than once. Pop, doesn't mean a seal, just the noise rubber hitting ally makes  :icon_wink:

HeavyHustler

Mine would lose air off the bead as well.  I took the core out, broke the bead and refilled.  I would also bounce the tyre all the way around as well, then checked for leaks again.  Worked.  Then I checked again a week later.......still lost a couple psi.  Oh well.

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 09, 2015, 01:00:38 AM
I have, more than once. Pop, doesn't mean a seal, just the noise rubber hitting ally makes  :icon_wink:

All interesting stuff; I guess there is always the opportunity for a 'first time' when it comes to mounting tyres.

Bixxer Bob

I've just come across it of rthe first time.  My CX500 rear tyre wouldn't seal on the bead so had to replace it in the end. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Pang will do the job, don't leave the tin open or it will go "off" within 30 mins. Don't rely on a "Pop" to tell you it's seated, I had one that even the guy in the local bike workshop said "That's done it" (he does them day in day out) but it went down over an hour, when I checked all the way around, it was part twisted at one section over 90 deg. We had to remove it, clean it all up again and blow it on with a 100 litre booster reservoir at 10bar  :icon_eek: