News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speedo drive

Started by JayDub, January 25, 2014, 08:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

Has anyone any ideas... I did some work on the forks and I forgot to tighten front spindle nuts  :bug_eye next day did a 15-20 ml run and noticed the speedo not working, after ten minutes it worked again, then it didn't.  I thought the cable was dying so came home and detached the lower end removed the inner cable and it seems OK and turning smoothly in the outer, (thats when I noticed the loose spindle), tightened it all up and reconnected the speedo but it still doesn't work?

Bixxer Bob

At a guess, you wrecked the magnet   :icon_rolleyes:  Even a crack will be enough to stop it working.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 25, 2014, 11:11:09 PM
At a guess, you wrecked the magnet   :icon_rolleyes:  Even a crack will be enough to stop it working.
no magnet in a steamer  :nono

97tiger885

Let me try again.

Check to see the tabs from the speedo drive/gearbox are in the cutouts as shown above. The first few times I removed the speedo gearbox I failed to get the tongues in the cutouts.  Got the same symptoms you have.  Realigned the drive and all was well.

JayDub

I s'pose thats got to be the answer, although I didn't actually remove the spindle or wheel just loosened the nuts so as to re-align the forks, I didn't think the tabs would have left the slots, but I reckon thats why it worked intermitently - because the tabs popped out again, I'm gonna have a look later anyway - thanks fellas.

Sin_Tiger

That'll be enough to do it, fiddly buggers, even without a magnet Bob  :icon_lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Primitive things these Steamers..... 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Quote from: 97tiger885 on January 26, 2014, 01:49:53 AM
Let me try again.
Check to see the tabs from the speedo drive/gearbox are in the cutouts as shown above. The first few times I removed the speedo gearbox I failed to get the tongues in the cutouts.  Got the same symptoms you have.  Realigned the drive and all was well.
Yep, as predicted... the tabs were not engaged so when I tightened the spindle they got squashed, 2 mins with a pair of pliers and all working again, Thanks everyone, (and thanks Bob - ignore Niall, you meant well :icon_wink:)

97tiger885

Glad it was an easy fix.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 26, 2014, 06:45:03 PM
Primitive things these Steamers.....

Suites me mate  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: JayDub on January 26, 2014, 07:07:45 PM
Quote from: 97tiger885 on January 26, 2014, 01:49:53 AM
Let me try again.
Yep, as predicted... the tabs were not engaged so when I tightened the spindle they got squashed, 2 mins with a pair of pliers and all working again, Thanks everyone, (and thanks Bob - ignore Niall, you meant well :icon_wink:)

No worries Jaydub,  Sin and I often pull each other's chain....

JayDub

So, chains is it? you both share the same pastime - apart from tigers :icon_wink: