News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stuck on empty

Started by Cos, February 04, 2014, 08:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cos

I haven't had time to deal with this lately but being half unemployed has now provided me with said time so it's time to tackle this little problem.

Long story short, my fuel gauge refuses to work and my fuel light's stuck on empty. The tank had come off before this happened so I'm wondering if something stayed disconnected. On the other hand, I know there have been fuel sender problems as well. Floats have also been known to stick.

I'd appreciate thoughts on this issue.

Bixxer Bob

Assuming you re-connected the sender lead (two wires / one plug on the right side) when you put the tank back on,  nad the fuse supplying it is ok, the pump / sender assembly has to come off.

It's straightforward (drain the tank first.  Obviously  :icon_rolleyes:), just undo the screws holding it in place and lift the whole thing off.  The gasket is re-usable so nothing to buy.  It's a good idea to change the fuel filter while you're in there. If you open the sender unit you'll soon see if the float is ok or if it's sticking.  Once you're happy it's all working ok, re assemble but don't over tighten anything.  The gasket makes a good seal and overtightening will either strip something or distort it.

I've not done it, but I don't see why you can't dry test the whole thing on the bike before you put it back in the tank.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Cos

Thanks.

I didn't do the taking apart and reassembling and that's why i'm not sure if everything down there is connected. I'll start with taking the tank off to check connections and wires and take it from there i suppose.

Here's a question. If the plug isn't connected, would the fuel light even come on?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Cos on February 04, 2014, 05:52:13 PM
If the plug isn't connected, would the fuel light even come on?

That's a thought, it's possible that it would as a failsafe warning, at least you know something is wring rather than Keep Calm and Motor On  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I can't remember what it does to be honest, but I do know it logs a fault in the ECU.  Can't remember if it lights the MIL lamp as well though  :icon_scratch:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Cos

No MIL light on. Just the fuel light. I'll have a crack at it this weekend.