News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

throttle Body Sync

Started by T885i_Blk, February 18, 2014, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T885i_Blk

Hi all,

I usually get this done at service time by the garage but would like to do it myself from now on. I have borrowed/used vacuum gauges on carbs but have never attempted doing a bike with fuel injection, is it any different? btw I have a 885i if it makes any difference.

Would like to know what gauges/tool people recommend as I have yet to make the purchase  and it would be good if I could also use it on my 2013 super tenere.

Thanks
Tiger 885i 1999

Bixxer Bob

Get the Carbtune gauge. It's way better than the cheaper ones.  Then look in the "how to" thread or use the search button,  it's been covered on here before, you just have to spend a little time digging.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

T885i_Blk

Thanks Bob, you do go beyond the call of duty  :XXcomputer

I have ordered a carbtune and read through the instructions in the link. I also checked out youtube for some additional instruction.

Having spoken to the garage that services my bike, a TBS isn't included in the service and as I never requested it the tiger has gone without since I bought it in 2009!! I may also find that my vacuum tubes have been silicone sealed to my throttle bodies as they kept popping off one service. helpful!

Hopefully this will solve my rough idling! as other than that it pulls like a train.

I noticed in one of the vids that T-pieces were used to keep the tigers vacuum tubes connected during the sync, is this necessary? as this wasn't the case in the pics from the thread?

Thanks

Chris
Tiger 885i 1999

Bixxer Bob

I don't think it makes any difference, I use the T pieces because it allows the IACV to control the tickover otherwise you have to wedge the throttle open a touch.

I keep saying, balancing the TBs is the single best thing you can do for your Girly as they drop out pretty quickly.  You WILL love the difference.  I generally do mine whenever the tank's off as it only takes 5 minutes.

T885i_Blk

As I'm going to the hassle of taking off the tank I've ordered some T-pieces and 2m of hose so I can renew the existing vacuum hose at the same time.

I'd need one T-piece anyway to do the sync on the tenere so might as well buy 3. well actually bought 4 as I couldn't have one tube of the carbtune left out, even if I'm not going to use it. makes it look like a set.
Tiger 885i 1999

blacktiger

Quote from: T885i_Blk on February 18, 2014, 12:14:02 PM

Would like to know what gauges/tool people recommend as I have yet to make the purchase  and it would be good if I could also use it on my 2013 super tenere.

Thanks

Not sure you can still get them but I have the original Morgan Carbtune which are proper Mercury vacuum gauges. Absolutely the best tool you can buy to get your bike running as good as it can. Far more accurate than dial type gauges and there's none of the fluctuations that I found when using the new type.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: blacktiger on February 18, 2014, 05:42:53 PM
Quote from: T885i_Blk on February 18, 2014, 12:14:02 PM

Thanks

Not sure you can still get them but I have the original Morgan Carbtune which are proper Mercury vacuum gauges. Absolutely the best tool you can buy to get your bike running as good as it can. Far more accurate than dial type gauges and there's none of the fluctuations that I found when using the new type.

:BangHead

John Stenhouse

Probably cracked vacuum pipes, made mine run like a pig.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

T885i_Blk

The reason I decided the cause was a TBS is that the bike is only bad at idle and in 1st gear. from 2nd gear onwards it's good. but being that I find removing the tank such a chore I will be doing all the vacuum pipes and hooking up the laptop and tuneECU to check everything is ok.

It was 100% until I was on the last 500miles of a 5000mile trip last October when it was getting hard to Idle and power was low in 1st. I have since serviced the bike (all fluids, filters, rad cap, plugs etc). Power is as good as it's always been just a bit more Lumpy/rattly at Idle. Although I have been spoilt by my purchase of a new bike so it may be all relative rather than worse. Valve clearance was done about 500miles before I left on the trip so shouldn't need doing just yet.

just FYI, I'm running a TOR can with no collector box. standard air filter with no airbox mods. and TOR tune (although I will check that when I am doing the TBS).

I went with the Morgan Carbtune Pro as it doest contain Mercury and is just as good for DIY check/adjustment from the reviews I've read as the original Mercury version, but I'm sure some will disagree.
Tiger 885i 1999