News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front sprocket bolt

Started by Solon, February 15, 2014, 08:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solon

I'm about to change the oil seal behind the front sprocket which has been leaking for a while. Altogether with it, I'll change the gear pedal seal, clutch pushrod seal and the sprocket cover gasket.

I know there's a huge bolt that holds the sprocket and I want to be sure before I start work I have all the needed tools.

So what size is that bolt?
I found in two different places different specification : 38 or 36 mm. I don't have a socket wrench that big so I have to buy one first.

And is that washer with bendable edges reusable?
Any other tips for the job?

Thanks!

ssevy

I'm not sure of the socket size, as I only know that I had one large enough when I changed my clutch pushrod. If you have to, you can always make an impression of the nut or measure it. I replaced the clutch pushrod, as they are not expensive, and tend to corrode a bit where moisture sets around the seal area. You can also do a poor man's clutch rod replacement, and just flip it end to end, which will put a (hopefully) clean section under the seal.
An air or electric impact wrench is your best friend for removing that sprocket nut, and you'll need a torque wrench to put it back on correctly. Lacking an impact wrench, you'll need someone to stand on the rear brake pedal while you remove the nut.
The tabbed lock washer is reusable. Just be careful when you tap the tabs flat as you remove it.
The biggest caution is to not bugger up the new seal when it slides over the sprocket splines. The silicone tape that sticks only to itself works well for covering the splines, as it can be stretched very thin so as to not leave too much bulk for the seal to pass over. Many have done this job a second time because of the new seal being damaged, so be very careful.
I believe the manual suggests this job can be done without draining the oil, but if my memory serves me, I had lots of oil flowing out and regretted not draining it prior.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

dave NL

It is a 36mm nut. Torque is 136Nm.

The seal runs on a sleeve, dont worry about the spline.

Use some crackcase sealant when pushing in the new seal, otherwise it might leak mounting it this way.

Put it in 1th gear to loosen the nut, should be fine.
Getting the tiger back on the road.

Solon

Thanks, mates.
Great hints. Will be testing them soon. I would have never considered using a sealant altogether with the seal, so that's a good thing to know.

Mustang's thread on "Chain and Sprocket Job" might also give useful info, unfortunately the link doesn't work.

If I reverse the clutch pushrod, is there any danger that smth drops inside, I mean is it holding anything from falling loose inside? Do I have to pay specail attention to prevent such thing?

dave NL

Yup, you can just pull out the rod. Nothing will happen.

Oh, just use the sealant on the seal of the driveshaft, the oters are not really neccesary  :icon_rolleyes:

Getting the tiger back on the road.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Solon on February 16, 2014, 05:33:37 AM

Mustang's thread on "Chain and Sprocket Job" might also give useful info, unfortunately the link doesn't work.

Fixed! :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...