News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

k/n air filter

Started by exchead, February 14, 2014, 08:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exchead

just removed air filter from bike and it is a k and n filter been on i think about a year,looks really clean do they neeed washing and reoiling like my air filter on my dirt bike?

metalguru

Not wishing to start a filter thread, but personally I wouldn't touch a K&N as the paper filter has a much larger filtering area, once the oil in a K&N has been drawn through the filter the filter is less efficient. I must stress this is my personal opinion.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

Quote from: exchead on February 14, 2014, 08:35:52 PM
just removed air filter from bike and it is a k and n filter been on i think about a year,looks really clean do they neeed washing and reoiling like my air filter on my dirt bike?

Exactly the same,I've used one for 14 years and it works fine,but the last time it needed cleaning I think the technical term is/was 'I couldn't be arsed for 30 quid or less and bought a new one.

exchead

Quote from: Chris Canning on February 14, 2014, 09:49:53 PM

Exactly the same,I've used one for 14 years and it works fine,but the last time it needed cleaning I think the technical term is/was 'I couldn't be arsed for 30 quid or less and bought a new one.
can u remember which way filter goes back in cage ie front of cage or back,only mine was fitted with the rubber bevel seal facing the front of air box and doesnt make what i would call a good seal

Chris Canning

Quote from: exchead on February 18, 2014, 08:35:07 PM
Quote from: Chris Canning on February 14, 2014, 09:49:53 PM

can u remember which way filter goes back in cage ie front of cage or back,only mine was fitted with the rubber bevel seal facing the front of air box and doesnt make what i would call a good seal

I'm sorry you have lost me  :icon_scratch:,just put it in it's held in situ with the 4 screws and holding plate can you post a photo.

exchead

sorry i mean which way does the filter face when u put it in holding plate as mine was fitted with the rubber seal towards front of bike

Chris Canning

Feed the filter in so the cleats or the V part is at the bottom or just hold it up to the light you'll see the crap that you haven't managed to clean out and that bit is on the bottom  :icon_biggrin:

Alternative I found the K+N does discolour dirty side on the top.

exchead

Right then a little update having spoken to k&n filters tech dept today it appears that whoever fitted my filter did indeed fit it on the wrong end of the carrier which when i first posted this thread was my gut feeling,k&n say the filter will work any way round for air flow but needs the rubber seal tobe a tight fit all the way round,my filter was fitted with the rubber seal facing front of air box and was contacting only at the two sides, hoping not to much crap has been sucked past air gaps,i have now fitted it on bottom of carrier so the seal faces throttle bodies,i think i can see why someone fitted mine wrong as the right way needs some lube on the seal to push the fllter down flush so u can fit the mounting screws,i think i may of got away with it as the fllter was only fitted last year and the airbox inside was mint. :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: exchead on February 19, 2014, 11:18:51 PM
i think i may of got away with it

Just don't mention the war  :icon_lol:

I didn't think it was possible to do that, unless you were really determined  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

I thought I had thrown my old K+N out but while having a spring clean found it but for the life of me can't see how yours was fitted.

exchead

Quote from: Chris Canning on February 22, 2014, 03:26:17 PM
I thought I had thrown my old K+N out but while having a spring clean found it but for the life of me can't see how yours was fitted.
if you look at the Girly wisdom thread how to change an airfilter it shows a kn filter coming out from bottom of carrier,someone not me had put the filter in the top or front of carrier which when you push it down wont seal at the top or bottom which could allow dirty air to get past between filter and sides of airbox