News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Higher Octane fuel

Started by threepot, March 16, 2014, 12:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Quote from: NKL on March 17, 2014, 11:01:28 PM
Unless you retune the engine to take advantage of the higher octane you will not get the benefit from it FACT.

That's complete tosh my 1100s is like night and day between stock fuel and 98/99 octane and I do nothing to it,I don't see such a vast improvement on either my K/Tiger/or XT but there's a difference alright,well in actual fact the with the K it even says on the filler 98 only.

threepot

Some interesting reading on the Shell site. They state the benefits with premium is the additives,which clean and protect engine. Anyway,watch the Ferrari/Shell film. Got to be the best commercial ad ever! :thumbsup

http://www.shell.co.uk/gbr/products-services/on-the-road/motorsport/performance/1-minute-50-seconds.html
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on March 18, 2014, 05:48:24 PM
Some interesting reading on the Shell site. They state the benefits with premium is the additives,which clean and protect engine.

Sounds like that may be a benefit, above all else, in markets where there is less ethanol in the higher octane fuels. Over here they started with ethanol being added to the higher octane fuels and then added it across the board.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

NKL

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 17, 2014, 11:48:44 PM
Unless you retune the engine to take advantage of the higher octane you will not get the benefit from it FACT.

That's complete tosh my 1100s is like night and day between stock fuel and 98/99 octane and I do nothing to it,I don't see such a vast improvement on either my K/Tiger/or XT but there's a difference alright,well in actual fact the with the K it even says on the filler 98 only.

Doesn't BMW and the 1100s have a knock sensor, so effectively it is retuning itself to run the higher octane.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Chris Canning

Quote from: NKL on March 19, 2014, 01:03:48 AM
Quote from: Chris Canning on March 17, 2014, 11:48:44 PM

Doesn't BMW and the 1100s have a knock sensor, so effectively it is retuning itself to run the higher octane.

I view it as a tractor engine that runs better when I feed it good fuel  :icon_wink: