News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to FIX spinning tank nuts

Started by Mustang, July 20, 2008, 02:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wad2502

:sign13
If you want to avoid the epoxy sticking to the threads of the bolt give them a thin smear of good quality grease or Copperslip.

Then slap the epoxy all over the place.. just remove the bolt when the epoxy has started to set firm and trim off all the excess with a blade before its completely set..

If you use "Chemical Metal, Quick silver etc"  its possible to do away with the nut altogether as that stuff sets so hard it will hold a thread no problem.. and lets face it they are not needing tightening up to massive toque levels?

To do this clean your bolt on a wire brush then smear with good quality grease and then wipe it almost all off using a cloth, fill the hole and smear the threads of the bolt with chemical metal, then insert the bolt (getting the angle and position right!) as soon as the Chemical Metal has set enough to be firm, (about 5 min) remove the bolt and trim as before. Then reinsert the bolt and leave to cure for 24 to 48 hours before re assembly and fully tightening up.

You will get a far better "grip" on the metal of a captive nut if its really clean, so use some brake cleaner on the nut after roughing it up and avoid touching it with fingers (clean gloved fingers are fine).

Simples! ;)  :thumbsup

(Sorry for none UK people you will not get the "Simples" joke)

Joe Bates

I just did this to my 96 Tiger.
All 5 nuts on one side were spinning.
I used a 5/64 drill bit into the center of the allen key slot in the head of each bolt.
It was easy to center in the head of the bolt since its concave to a point.
I then used the corresponding EZ Out extractor bit.
Worked well. All OEM bolts are reusable and not beat up.
You gotta pull hard on the drill.
When it starts to smoke, pull harder, it's ready.
I used Marine JB Weld because it is made to come in contact with gas and hold up also said to be suitable on more types of plastic.
Fingers crossed.
I didn't grind down the nuts, I shaved the edge around the whole with an exacto knife.
Tried a drill first and saw gas seeping.
There isn't much room for error.  Repeat the last stmt.
Cleaned the holes with alcohol, filled the holes with JB, cleaned the nuts with alcohol, popped the nuts back into there spots with bolts in them, wiped aroun the top like finishing concrete, took the bolts out, cleaned JB from bolts.
Now waiting and hoping the JB will plug the two leaks I created.
Would have been fine if I didn't use the drill on first two. Use exacto knife.
If you mess up with the 5/64 bit you can still go up to a 7/64 and not beat up the bolts.
Might wanna have both size bits and EZ outs when you start and the next size up EZ Out also for a plan C.
Hope it helps.
I put this fix off for about 2 year and it wasn't that bad :)
Thanks For Your Time

Bixxer Bob

Well done, just come back and tell us it didn't leak :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup often the case, scarrier thinking about it than doing it, I live in a perpetually state of fear  :icon_lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Joe Bates

Update and more info:
1) It's not leaking. Gas in tank for 1.5 days.
I let cure for 48 hrs instead of the 15-24 recommended.
One of the holes was as big as the nut insert and the other was small and seeping.
I drained the tank after the seeper.
2) I placed a couple small pieces of the JB Weld Marine (from my mixing surface) after it cured, in a cap of straight gasoline and it hasn't broke down for 2-3 days.
I plan on leaving it in there for months to know what's happening inside my tank.
3) I used chop stix as my applicator for the JB Weld.
4) Dupli-Color Universal Black NG SF 100 is an OK match for a Black Tiger.
It's not perfect, its a little darker, can't tell in sunlight only at night under flashlight.
It sticks good, keeps OEM cracked/bubbling paint together longer and will probably fade to match better.

Back on the road.
2 days. 3 hours a day. Lots of thought. Broke some bits. Sprung some leaks.
Could have gone smoother. Could of not worked.
<$35, have some bits, extractors, touch up paint and JB Weld left over.
Cheap easy fix. Don't use drill, use exacto knife.
Ill let you know if it ever leaks.
Thanks For Your Time

nickjtc

Aah, JB Weld. The duct tape of epoxy adhesives. Is there anything it CAN'T stick, I wonder?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

front sight on a 1911.......... :augie

failed miserably

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on March 25, 2014, 10:39:27 PMfront sight on a 1911.......... :augiefailed miserably

1911?? Rifle? Pistol? Who needs a front sight anyway?  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"