News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stators and Mosfets

Started by ssevy, March 19, 2014, 03:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

I was reading about the stator and overheating charging system issues in the Girly section, and wondered if our Steamers had the same issues? I found this for Triumph Triples:

http://www.roadstercycle.com/#bracket link

I have already purchased some new auxiliary LED riding lights, and intend to replace the headlights with new LEDs as well, to save as many amps as possible for electric riding gear. While I am at it, I can upgrade the stator, etc., if this is a known weak spot.

Searching for Shindengen or Rick's in Steamers came up with nada.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

steamers don't have electrical gremlins like the girlies .we just have to deal with only 25 amps total power . :sign13
that gives 300 watts for available power, high beams tail and panel lights are going to use about 1/2 of that .
at cruising speed a steamer puts out 14+ volts all day long without a hiccup .

ssevy

Thanks Mustang. Still interested in the Translab someday?

Mustang

ssevy

Cool. Let me get my Steamer all sorted and set up with luggage, and get some dirt riding experience under my belt, and then I'm your man. Maybe summer of '15?

Sin_Tiger

You're bad,  teasing us like that.  :nono  A good going over all the loom connectors won't do any harm after 20 years in the  elements.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

97tiger885

Quote from: ssevy on March 19, 2014, 03:40:22 AM
I was reading about the stator and overheating charging system issues in the Girly section, and wondered if our Steamers had the same issues? I found this for Triumph Triples:

I know my 97 eats battery with great frequency.  I get somewhere between 9 months to a year with AGMs.  The good thing is I get one replacement battery out of the deal. The bad part is I need to carry jumper cables.  My voltmeter show 14v at 3500 rpms.