News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Adding risers to an '05 Girly

Started by Roadinator, March 19, 2014, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

I'm 6' 3" and when I stand up on the Girly the bars don't even make it to my waist (I have the  lowered Mustang pegs).  I wouldn't even want to try and stand up riding it off road.  I am thinking about adding some risers and changing out the handle bars.  The rox risers look like they have height plus forward and back adjustment, but am I on the right track to a better stand up riding position?  Will I be sacrificing the sit down position to where I hate it on the road (where I do most of my riding and two up with the wife).  Eventually I want to get something better for off road  like a dr 650 or dr 400, but this riding season will probably be me trying to take the tiger more places instead of two bikes and starting with risers seems pretty straight forward.  I'm not sure where the riser height creates cable length issues either?

Thanks for the any advice.
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

Spud

I've just ordered a set of risers to help with hopefully a better arm position to help protect a neck problem, so if I get mine before you I'll post up any problems

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

chairhead

I think if the bike is set up for road use and you're happy with that set up, plus that's where it'll be the majority of time,
is it worth your time ,effort and hard earned cash to change it so you can go off road every once I a while?

I think I'd wait until you've got something more suited for off road(lighter/lower centre of gravity etc.  :nap  :icon_lol: ), and spend the money on that.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Stitch

I have Rox risers installed which give me 1" up and 1" back. Works decent for me and I am at my limit for cable/brake line length (where I feel comfortable). Expect to part with $80 for them. My height is 6'1" and after having them on for a year or so would probably like to gain a little more pull back rather than height. I do also have a set of Mustang pegs for my comfort.

The reason I selected these is that they accommodate 7/8" or 1 1/8" bars. I don't particularly care for the ROX aluminum shim used to fit the 7/8" bars nor do I care for the empty space below the ROX riser however I wished to experiment and figured flexibility wouldn't hurt. The flexibility comes in to where if I didn't like where they were at, I could convert to a different bar set-up whether 7/8 or 1 1/8" to gain a cross bar/additional height with an "offroad bar" setup (fairly discussed in the threads). 

With your height, you wont be sorry to at least getting a 1"/1" setup. SW-Motech fill the gap under the riser as well as just accommodating a 7/8" bar (better design) Flip an extra $20 over the ROX ($100 at Twisted Throttle) and you will be fine. More than that and options can include: adding length to brake lines (convert to dual at the master and eliminate the cross-over); if you eliminate the cross-over brake line then you can mod the front fender for height (kit is not available last I checked but not cumbersome to do it yourself and yes, think it the styling is ok for the street); "off-road bars" which have a crossover for strength (and yes, makes a difference highway/street riding to stiffen the bars) then you realize you can install different hand guards to rid yourself of the whimsy O.E. handguards; then you decide a bar mount GPS is the way to go on the new cross-bar real estate; and the wife got me this cool MP3 player for my birthday which I can mount on the cross bar; etc, etc, etc. You see why I said flexibility for my ROX riser. :icon_wink:

Planning on where you want to end up is a good thing. If you absolutely are not going to do any more mods, then spring for the SW-Motechs. Off-road you will want some height even for slight standing on the pegs. A couple of ass-slaps off road and you automatically start standing up. If you are not sure which way to go or how many mods will happen in the future, still spring for 1"/1" and research for a set of bars to add later. Bar risers do make a world of difference for us taller than average Tiger riders.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Roadinator

Thanks for all the details.  I will figure it out soon and the information will help.  I road in to work today and pulled it out of the garage and put the side stand down and out cam two bolts.  One broke at the casing and the other stripped out.  Looks like that will need to get fixed first...
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange