News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which one?

Started by rsteiger, March 26, 2014, 03:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsteiger

Ok... New to the Forum but started riding at 14 on a XL250 and later an IT175 with a couple of Enduros under my belt - I really sucked.

Took about an 18 year break from riding and sold my KZ400 and Honda Sabre 700 when my daughter was born.

Started riding again in 2009 on a brand new DL650 WeeStrom.  After getting my feet wet I started messing around in the dirt again and now the Wee has some friends - 2012 WR250R, 2010 Beta 520 RR, and a 2003 GasGas XC250.  This collection has left me yearning for a larger more 'dirt' capable bike than the Strom.  I have put about a 100 miles on a Tiger 800 XC and was really impressed.  Even rode it back to back with a KTM 1190R and was still impressed - although some of that may have be due to the extra money that would remain in my bank account if I should buy the Tiger over the KTM.  So I have basically been looking pretty hard at the 800 XC.

So fast forward a couple of months and a friend of mine has a 2002 Tiger 955i.  It has been sitting a bit and needed a new battery, tire, and oil change along with some other TLC and some saddle time.  He picked up a new battery, I had a extra Shinko 705 laying around for the Strom, and plenty of 15W-40 Rotella.  So we struck a deal, I would put on the tire and do the oil change then get to hang on to the bike for an extended period of time  if I promised to ride it.

I have been amazed at the performance of the Girly!  It seems like you are riding a big dirt bike.  Granted it is a bit heavy and seems to carry the weight high but I am sort of use to that with the Wee.  The motor just rocks and I can tail slide that beast all day on the right dirt road.

So after looking at the prices of a used Girly versus a new or used 800XC I am really struggling to decide on which bike to chose.  In the end I will probably be selling my Wee and WRR once I decide which way to go.  The Beta is just flat out awesome as a DS ride provided you are not trying to cover 1500 miles and camp along the way.  Hence why I am looking at the Tigers.

Any insight would be appreciated!  Especially from those who have owned both.

nickjtc

Cost. With the significant amount of money you would save by buying the older machine you could tart it up to your hearts desire and still have enough left over to pay for fuel and maintenance for the foreseeable future. And, with all due respect to Triumph, the 800 and its bigger brother just look like clones of that Teutonic brand. The Girly is in a class of its own in that respect.

I'm a fan of mature things so I'm biased.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

And the Girly will carry more weight I think.  Black Tiger is your man, he owns both.  If he doesn't pick up on this, PM him, he's very helpful.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Buy the Girl. Your bike choices make you seem a good rider in terms of confidence and that is what you need on a big heavy bike like the 955. But it will go places it has no right to, avoid too much mud and it's stupidly capable. My two, and I'm not a great rider a bit too timid, have been off road to the top of the alps in France and Italy and Prudhoe bay and Inuvik on your side of the pond.

You will need some mods to get it to your liking, a new rear shock, some crash bars, Mustang pegs and a change of fork oil are the ones I would start with.

It's the motor that sells it every time, just a stunner.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Both  :icon_lol: you couldn't have started with an easy question could you  :icon_scratch:

I have an XC and think it's very good and much under rated.

I've never owned a Girly but although perhaps not as nimble as the XC will certainly be as comfortable on longer rides, the Girly certainly tips it with character.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 26, 2014, 08:31:59 PM
the Girly certainly tips it with character.

That was the word I was looking for. I think most older bikes have a lot more character than the new ones. And of course Steamers more than most.  :icon_rolleyes:

rsteiger

Well tonight we had our little local 'Bike Night' get together and I rode the 955i to it.

As luck would have it one of the guys who frequents this event was there with his 800XC and I got to take it for a spin right after I got there.

Now I have ridden the 800XC before and logged about 100 miles on a demo model.  I was very impressed with the handling for a larger bike and the power of the motor. 

After riding the two bikes I still like the power of the 800XC but that 955i motor is a BEAST!  I mean it starts pulling sooner in the RPM band and just keeps coming on.  It almost made riding the 800XC seem like riding my Wee when I first rode the 800XC.  That being said the 800XC definitely felt much more nimble and able to maneuver in and out of trouble whereas the Girly just doesn't give a shit about trouble since it is going to run right over it.

My heart and wallet are leaning towards the Girly but my brain is saying 800XC.  Guess I just need to keep riding the Girly till I sort it out.... or have to pick up the bike after I drop it.

nickjtc

Quote from: rsteiger on March 27, 2014, 03:26:48 AMGuess I just need to keep riding the Girly till I sort it out.... or have to pick up the bike after I drop it.

Now, now. THAT is NOT going to happen!! :icon_wink:

Bixxer Bob

Ha! What, the dropping it or the picking it up???  It should read you WILL drop it and you WON'T pick it up (on you own anyway).... :icon_mrgreen:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

The XC is a doddle to pick up compared to the Steamer which I would expect is similar to the Girly.

The XC is deceptive, doesn't feel like it's pulling from low down, perhaps quieter, I noticed a difference when I put the Zard end can on it seemed quicker but suspected it was just the noise.

I do know one thing, take off from stopped it will leave a 1200 GSA in the weeds till the GSA gets into it's mid upper revs, then it's neck and neck, that's as good a measure as I needed  :wheel
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

the maths are simple, the power is not far off the same, but the XC weighs about a quarter less if I remember rightly without actually looking up the numbers.

blacktiger

OK Bixxer PMed me to get me to comment.

So, yes, I own both. I bought the 955 new in 2002 and it's now got over 70000 miles on it. It has been solid.
I bought my XC new in 2011 and that now has 26000 miles on it and has also been solid.....but.....it has needed more farkling than I ever did on any other bike to get it where I want it. Crash bars, belly pan, change of handlebars, change of screen..........and more.

So, which one should you buy? Well, that depends entirely on what you intend to do with your bike. If there's really a LOT of dirt involved then you should get the XC because it is sooooooooo much more capable in that environment. Which is precisely why I bought mine.
If, however, you want an excellent touring bike which has great comfort and a tank range of over 250 miles, then the 955 is your girl. The 955 does do dirt.......

But it is hard work. And God help you if you drop it in an awkward place. They are bloody heavy. Never go alone.

Now the 800XC.......
I was riding this sort of thing within 3 months of owning it....

and making it seem easy. My mate on his KTM990 couldn't cope with that last one because his power delivery was too abrupt and just spun up the rear all the time. Lovely engines these triples.
The real  beauty of the XC is that it is still a good touring bike

but will take you to really remote places

with ease. Sometimes though, it needs a rest

Don't be fooled though, these are still a heavy bike. But the XC is so much easier to ride than the 955. Everything is lighter from the clutch to the handling and it doesn't lose much in the engine department either. The XC dances over the rough stuff whereas the 955 will bulldozzer it flat.
The only thing I have been disappointed with is the fuel consumption. I get 5UKmpg more out of my 955. The XC giving low 50s.

So, in conclusion, if real adventure into remote places is your thing, then get the XC. Mine has taken me to places I wouldn't even dream of going on the 955. If you're just touring with very occasional excursions onto dirt the 955 will do the job very well.
Whatever you choose, just revel in that triple engine. They're Gggggrrrrrrreeaaaatttttt!

2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Nick Calne

BOOM! ^^^ Now that is a thorough answer!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

Which is why I woke him up..... :augie

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 27, 2014, 04:05:37 PM
Which is why I woke him up..... :augie

You don't expect a train driver to be awake do you?  :sleepy1
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.