News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Whats it worth?

Started by rf9rider, March 29, 2014, 01:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Out of curiosity, whats the opinions on what my Steamer is worth should i put it up for sale?

I realise i`ve spent a lot on it and i`ll probably never get it back.

Here she is..................

Tripodtiger

For a steamer lover, that's horn!

If you bring it here, I'll give you a bed over night.  ok?
cheers
rayb
'73 RD250, '80 XS11, '81 RD350LC,
'96 Steamer - 'Tiger Trek' outfit.
'02 Girly - 'Envy'
"Faster Daddy, Faster!" (aged 7?)

nickjtc

It's worth as much as an aficionado is prepared to pay. :icon_wink: Everyone else will try to negotiate you down because they do not realise what they are getting. My 22 cents worth. (2 cents + inflation  :icon_lol:)
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Nick Calne

As they say on the Antiques Roadshow...

You should insured it for at least £2,950.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ssevy

No relevance at all, but there is one on C-list here in Arizona that the guy can't seem to get a bite on. Very low miles and pristine, and I think it is the one I saw last spring in NH that had 700 miles on it. He paid over $5000 and had it shipped to AZ, where at 3000 miles later he is trying to sell it. I think he began around $4000 but can't get it.
My 95 in decent shape with 17000 miles cost me $2500 here in upstate NY last summer.
These are so rare that one as nice as yours should get a good amount, but you will have to be patient until someone with the right background comes along to see it. I myself only began researching Steamers after I fell in love with the looks, and then it took a long time to find one that was good enough cosmetically and still decent mechanically. There are bound to be others like me out there, future Steamer lovers who just don't know it yet, so if you can be patient, the right buyer may come along. (Not sure how rare these are on your side of the pond?)
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Bixxer Bob

You've already acknowledged you don't get back what you spent, so I'd be realistic about it.  First, what does a really good Steamer make, then what it cost you, then aim somewhere in the middle.  You won't know until you try.  I'd also advertise it in classic bike mags / forums because it's unusual enough to attract interest there from folks that might not have thought of buying a Steamer but are drawn to riding something different.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

t4tiger

That looks stunning.  If you do put it up for sale I'd certainly be interested.

rf9rider

Cheers all, not decided 100% yet, but now the prices of the Tiger 1050 are coming down, i`ve always wanted one so the Steamer will have to go, sadly.

Tough decision.   :icon_scratch:

ssevy

I think I've always regretted selling something whether it be a camera or other items that I really enjoyed in order to buy a newer one. When I found the used Tiger rather than replace my 99 Legend I added the tiger to my stable. If in a few years I find that I don't ride the legend as much as I should then it would be time to sell it. If possible you might be better off adding rather than replacing at least until you decide if the 1050 is for you.

rf9rider

Out of curiosity (again) i worked out how much i`ve spent on my Steamer.

I got the bike for £1300, which included the brand new Hagon shock, new Venom end cans, and new Hepco and Bekker crash bars.

Since then, i`ve done the Trophy wheels mod, which was free as i did a straight swap for my originals, re-spray, seat rebuilt, stainless steel brake/clutch lines, complete set of Givi luggage and racks, tyres, chain and sprockets, Moose handlebars, Rox riders, Touratech handguards, Motobatt battery, Trident clocks, ally levers, new front and rear brake discs, low slung Trophy rear caliper, polished stainless disc bolts, rear hugger, front mudguard, SW motech centre stand and several oil filters. plugs and a new airbox, and several other things i must have missed!

Reckon i`ve spent a grand total of...........................................................................

£3500  :bug_eye

Not as much as i originally thought  :icon_lol:

ssevy

The classic triples are the best bang for the buck, but only if you can do your own wrenching. The Steamers are awesome, but their smaller numbers and more numerous body panels means a more difficult upkeep issue than the Thunderbird, Legend, Adventurer and TBS. When I finish all of my upgrades to my 95 Tiger, I'll have around $5000 in it, but it will be as I want it and will last me the rest of my riding life.
I've never owned a new bike, and will probably never afford one, so my two Triumphs will have to keep me smiling. I personally like owning something that is not too advanced electronically, as that puts some servicing out of reach for someone without the dealer tools. It also gives me confidence that I can be on the road without concerning myself about dealers being nearby.

Sin_Tiger

"future Steamer lovers who just don't know it yet" I like that,  that'll be Girly owners then  :icon_mrgreen:

I stopped counting when I was rebuilding my Steamer, never want to sell it regardless of the cost. The Roadie on the other hand didn't upset me trading it. Don't get me wrong, the Roadie is a great bike but it just didn't tug at my heart strings like Steamer.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ned37

i get more admiring and covetous comments about my steamer than any other bike i've owned.  all those strangers couldn't be wrong.  its a keeper.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 02, 2014, 04:44:40 PMI stopped counting when I was rebuilding my Steamer, never want to sell it regardless of the cost.

Let's face it, anybody who has even the slightest interest in their machine is going to lavish upon it whatever is necessary to keep it running well. And frankly, trying to rationalise that expense, or even to get wound up about how much it adds up to, is pointless.

Put it this way: 2014 Tiger 800XC: starting from $13,399 here in Canada. 1996 Tiger 900: $3,000 + farkles and sparkles = total less than $4,000.

i get more admiring and covetous comments about my steamer than any other bike i've owned.  all those strangers couldn't be wrong.  its a keeper.

I would venture to suggest that the Steamer owner will get as much if not more 'pride of ownership' as the 800XC owner.... if only because of the continuous stream of non-motorcyclists who want to know what it is. My 22 cents worth. (2 cents + inflation)
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ned37

Quote22 cents worth
ya, but that's 22 cents canadian  :icon_wink:
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e