News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant level

Started by fraserdog, June 05, 2014, 05:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

I have the fairing off my 2002 Girly changing the headlight bulbs and had a look at the coolant level in the expansion tank,it is above the "min" mark but there seems to be no "max" mark on the tank,the handbook says keep between "MIN" and "MAX" but how far above the min is the max point? I hope this makes sense.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Mustang

as long as there is coolant at or above the min level when cold is fine . in fact if you add some , your tigger is probably gonna piss on the ground as soon as it heats up .

it's an expansion tank that collects coolant when the radiator cap says :"I can't contain this shit now that its hot and expanded ." rad cap opens and excess goes to tank .

when you park and the bike cools off it sucks the coolant from the tank back into the cooling system .

so in reality if bike is cold and at min level on expansion  tank , all is actually quite well .

trophydave

Quote from: Mustang on June 05, 2014, 06:30:55 PM
in fact if you add some , your tigger is probably gonna piss on the ground as soon as it heats up .

Agreed,I have had three different Triumphs,all of them have blown out coolant if filled above the minimum mark.

fraserdog

I'll leave the level well alone then as I don't want Tiger sick on the drive!
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a