News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clean those nuts

Started by 97tiger885, April 05, 2014, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Pulled the exhaust on the 97.  Here is the result:

Five of the studs came out instead of the nut coming off.  The sixth stud broke off .  Ugly, but done.

nickjtc

Time for replacements, surely??  :qgaraduate
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ssevy

That's why I love Never Seize.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

rybes

stainless allen bolts for me. never had a problem with em and they look prettier  :thumbsup
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

London_Phil

Did you have any issues taking them out?. Mine are in a bad way, but I am reluctant to attempt them, as I have seen lots of heads with fractured casting where the bolts were... Is the engine in the frame, or on bench?. Regards Phil

JayDub

Quote from: rybes on April 06, 2014, 08:38:33 AM
stainless allen bolts for me. never had a problem with em and they look prettier  :thumbsup
With copperslip of course so they don't fuse to the alloy :nod

97tiger885

Quote from: London_Phil on April 06, 2014, 11:19:32 AM
Did you have any issues taking them out?. Mine are in a bad way, but I am reluctant to attempt them, as I have seen lots of heads with fractured casting where the bolts were... Is the engine in the frame, or on bench?. Regards Phil

I was not trying to remove the studs.  The nuts were so badly seized that the studs screwed out rather than the nut.  One stud of six broke.