News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Battery died and bike wont start

Started by Farmertom390, April 10, 2014, 09:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmertom390

Ok well this is kind of a long story but I bought my bike last fall and put about 1,000 miles on it.  I parked it a little earlier than I had hoped to due to the female fuel connectors leaking and then breaking off when I tried to remove them.  Not long after that and before I was able to get it fixed winter hit and I didnt work on it in my unheated shed.

In the mean time I got the metal female connectors and it already had the updated male connectors put on it.  I fixed the fuel lines sometime in the beginning of march and the battery was a little weak.  I jump started the bike off of a tractor battery and it fired right up I let it run a while to charge the battery.

I shut it off and it started up on its own like a champ; then two weeks later I wanted to get it out of the shed after the snow melted and it was dead.  I can hook it to the tractor battery or jump box and it cranks like a champ but nothing.

I can hear the fuel pump cycle

Anyone have any ideas? Did I fry something or could it have lost its program? The bike ran absolutely perfect when I had jumped it the first time.  It looks like all the fuses are good.

Mustang

have you eliminated the obvious yet
clutch safety switch ......try starting it with the clutch pulled in
sidestand switch ..........try starting with kickstand up and clutch pulled

check the kill switch  :augie

Farmertom390

Unfortunately I have made sure of all of those things.

I've seen that pointed out a lot but mine won't crank with kill switch off etc. It will crank but it's either lacking fuel or spark; I just don't know why.

metalguru

Did the battery go completely flat when fitted to the bike?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Farmertom390

metalguru

The ECU on these bikes can get corrupt if the battery is left to go flat as it suffers when the voltage drops.
The first thing to do would be to replace the battery so a known good voltage is applied.
If leaving for a long period un-used it is wise to leave on an Optimate or similar. If the charger is not available then remove the battery.

It does sound like the map will have to be applied to the ECU.
If you are familiar with TuneEcu and how it works, download map to ECU.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Farmertom390

I just dropped if off at the dealer to get repaired tires and inspected.

I have read a little about the tuning but not a whole lot

Yukon

Farmertom390

It is at the former Triumph of windber.  It sucks that they are no longer a dealer. I bought my triumph mostly because of how cool Tim and everybody there are.

Yukon

Couldn't agree with you more. Their mechanic is top notch and Tim's knowledge of  Triumph bikes is second to none in PA.  They did all the service work on my 2006 Tiger at a very fair price.  I will continue to have all non-warranty work done there on my Explorer.  Let us know how you make out with the repairs.

Farmertom390

Picking it up tomorrow. Apparently something going on with it not getting fuel.  Got my inspection and new tires also.