News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leftover fuel in tank

Started by Mini Mo, November 19, 2013, 07:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini Mo

Hi guys-

I don't ask a lot of questions here on the forum but I do log on every few days to see what's going on.

Anyway, I ran out of fuel on my way home a few weeks ago. Half a mile push home wasn't too bad. Since the tank was now empty I figured this would be a good time to replace the original 1999 plastic (yes for real) fuel fittings for the metal ones, thanks to this forum, from Quick Couplings. Also the fuel gage hasn't been correct for a year or so and the light just stays lit all of the time so I thought I would have a look at the float.

First off those fittings of course snapped right off the second I tried to remove them. After removing the fuel pump/filter housing to get a better handle on removing the tightened plastic threads (OMG, nightmare to remove) I noticed what looks to be approx 1/3 of a gal. or about 3" of fuel left in the bottom of the tank. Is this normal? Anyone know why the pickup isn't any closer to the bottom of the tank? I normally go to about 225 mi and just zero out my trip when I fill but there have been times on some of my longer trips that I have cut it close on fuel. I get about 50-55 mpg so I'm leaving another 15-18 mi. or so of range in the tank. Seems strange
1999 Tiger
2006 KTM 450 EXC
1971 Honda CB750

Chris Canning

Exactly the same as my 1100s if the pickup was on the bottom it would sucking up shit all the time hence why it isn't and I'll think you'll find all (later) tanks are like that.

Chris Canning

exchead

Be careful whenyou take the cap off the end of the float tube held on with two tabs,and when it goes back on when you tip tube up to see if float moves freely it can hit cap at top and knock it off,i know because it happened to me :icon_redface:had to make an educated guess which way float went back in,but every time i thought i had cap secured when i flipped it float would hit it and off it would come again or even worse float wouls stay stuck at top,used a cable tie in the end to hold cap in place all been working good now for a month :thumbsup