News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Had a go on the Explorer..

Started by threepot, April 14, 2014, 09:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

My local Triumph dealer (Bevan's in Cardiff) had an open day Sunday. I went up with a mate,and booked a ride on the 1200 Explorer. My mate took a Thruxton out. To be honest,I was a little disappointed. To be fair,the bike belies its size well. You don't feel your on a big,1200 bike. The engine is the star,as we've come to expect from the Triple. Massive pull and effortless rise in speed. But can't say I liked the fly-by-wire throttle? To light action,and very sensitive to any movement,and a very slight delay. Gearbox action was ok changing up,but heavy and with a noticable 'clonk' shifting down. Bikes were still going thru the run-in period,so that would probably improve. Brakes were good. The suspension had a 'sporty' feel. I was expecting a softer ride..just like the 'Steamer' :icon_lol: Noticed quite a bit of buffeting from the screen. Could that be adjusted,maybe? And the seat. Felt like a plank after 20mins. So on the whole,not a good first impression. I also took the Thunderbird Storm out. I think I enjoyed that more. Must be my age  :icon_confused: My mate really liked the Thruxton. He is considering buying one. Couldn't get a ride on the 800 Tiger. I think that would be a better bike from the reports?
Anyway,riding off back on the Steamer,I realised what a bloody good bike it is! Silky smooth changes,lovely throttle response,smooth/torquey engine. Even the ride feels nicer . So I won't be rushing to part with what I've got now,Triumph got it right first time  :thumbsup

95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on April 14, 2014, 09:22:26 PM
My mate really liked the Thruxton. He is considering buying one.

He will enjoy it if he gets one. I had a 2010 Thruxton. Great bike. Does everything. And everyone wants to know what it is!

Having said that, Stanley is growing on me all the time!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

John Stenhouse

I'm with you on the fly by wire bit and the screen.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

You get used to the foibles like any bike quite quickly, the seat is just a matter of finding the sweet spot I found, it's ridiculously easy to filter through traffic as you can get your feet down so easily.

Your mate will love the Thruxton, especially after tweeking a few bits  :augie

I recommend you go back for a test ride on the 800, I'm sure you'll like it. It is a very accomplished bike but just doesn't have the nuttiness of the Steamer, it's almost too civilised.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

PeteH

Took one out too and expected more, screen wasn't too bad but it can be adjusted a mate has the taller screen fitted and he loves it......gear change clunky...needed a good shove to get in gear....can't say I noticed the throttle even though I was playing by sticking it in top then winding on from really low speed....was comfy even with the seat low.

Then I took out the LT and ooh you can't beat cubes....nice comfy seat, mirrors you can see behind with...but the standard screen buffering mashed what Greg matters left........might go for an extended test ride on them and maybe an 800 when the weather improves
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

Well I went all around the house's bike wise last year,I never bothered with the Explorer not my thing and if my 955 goes bang anytime soon I'll buy a 1050 Sport,but I'll reserve judgement until BM's 1000 turns up at the end of the year assuming of course it's not fitted with a poxy 19l tank.

threepot

I just don't think its £12k better than my Tiger :nono And I can fix it most of the time ,relatively easily and cheaply.The bike I really took a fancy to was the Tiger 1050 Sport 'Dark' :nod
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on April 15, 2014, 08:52:40 PM
I just don't think its £12k better than my Tiger

That is the comment I make about most of the new machines out there. Even if I could afford a new 'adventure tourer' I would have to ask myself whether I would be getting 4 or 5 or 6 times the 'fun factor' as I am with a '96 Steamer, based on the fact I would be spending 4 or 5 or 6 times its current value.

Our bikes may not be the most frugal out there when it comes to fuel consumption, but at least they are 'relatively' easy to work on.

threepot

Yes nick. To upgrade to the 12EXP,I would have to spend about £11K. That buys a lot of fuel! So as long as my bike stays  relatively reliable,its cheap riding really. And the new one's don't have the same 'street cred' as the Steamer :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on April 15, 2014, 09:59:08 PM
And the new one's don't have the same 'street cred' as the Steamer :thumbsup

I agree with that. Stanley gets as many comments, if not more, as the Thruxton I used to ride.