News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Plug colour...

Started by JayDub, May 25, 2014, 04:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

Not sure what to make of the colours here... no, I haven't heated them with a blow torch  :icon_eek:  taken out after standing for a week after a 120 mile run, mix screws out approx 1 1/4 turns.  :icon_scratch: don't remember ever having them this colour before... another example of  steamer quirkiness?
I tweeked #3 slightly as it looks a bit rich, and there's new plugs fitted which has slightly improved running but not the really annoying problem which is the jerkiness/lurching in 1st and second around 1500-2000 rpm, a real pain in traffic.

nickjtc

Very interesting. But I do not think that you have much to worry about. They aren't burnt to a crisp, sooty, or covered in mung, so things should be ok...
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on May 25, 2014, 04:46:05 PM
and there's new plugs fitted which has slightly improved running but not the really annoying problem which is the jerkiness/lurching in 1st and second around 1500-2000 rpm, a real pain in traffic.

Inside of the carbs clean? All orifices clear? Air leak somewhere?

JayDub

Just recently stripped, cleaned carbs, replaced cracked carb tops, new jet needles, made sure everything was to original specs, checked diaphragms, new inlet rubbers, checked/cleaned air filter (like new) balanced carbs, the only thing I'm not happy with is the cans... although Triumph, they seem to be straight through, and popping on over-run.

Sin_Tiger

Not bad, if anything slightly on the weak side.

Your cans are definitely not stock so you're not going to have the same back pressure. Try a1/4 turn more open and see how it runs.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

According to Ngk plug colour chart,they look good :thumbsup. Sorry cant provide link,on a tablet.
Ngksparkplugs.com
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

... and, I just realised that I've set the gap to 0.8 instead of 0.9 oh well... off with the tank again  :icon_rolleyes:

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on May 26, 2014, 07:23:14 PM
... and, I just realised that I've set the gap to 0.8 instead of 0.9 oh well... off with the tank again

Isn't anything between .8 and .9 ok?? But think of it this way... taking the tank and plastics off is character building!  :augie

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on May 26, 2014, 08:00:21 PM
Quote from: JayDub on May 26, 2014, 07:23:14 PM
... and, I just realised that I've set the gap to 0.8 instead of 0.9 oh well... off with the tank again

Isn't anything between .8 and .9 ok?? But think of it this way... taking the tank and plastics off is character building!  :augie
I set them at a sliding .8, as I prefer a healthy spark, and I not sure about 'character building' its getting to soul destroying  :BangHead
but I need to see if I tweeked #3 enough to even them all I spose.