News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Seeping Clutch Slave Cylinder (External)

Started by Joe Bates, June 15, 2014, 05:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bates

Noticed a little spot of paint bubbling on engine case.
It is seeping from under side of case cover for clutch slave cylinder.
I turned the bolts a quarter turn, didn't feel tight at all.
Still seeping. Any suggestions or quick fixes??  Tighten more??
I like to do repairs myself but this seems kinda time extensive for the alternative of $163 for local shop to replace whole cylinder with new.
Me or Shop??
About 23k on the bike. It's a 96 Steamer.
Any input appreciated as always.
Thanks For Your Time

JayDub

In a hurry? - Shop, want satisfaction - get the spanners out  :icon_biggrin:

threepot

I have been noticing a slight oil leak from that area recently. After my last ride,I cleaned the whole area. Rode bike today,and checked. Seems to be coming from clutch slave cylinder. There is a small opening on the case to expell hydraulic fluid if the piston leaks..to prevent contamination of engine oil. But its engine oil thats leaking,so its probably the clutch pushrod seal thats leaking? Probably your problem too? Front sprocket cover needs to come off to expose. And I just changed sprocket and chain :icon_rolleyes:

Bloody British bikes :augie lol
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Joe Bates

Mine is coming from that same spot.
It's like where you would put a flat head screw driver to twist and pop off the cover.
I'm pretty sure it isn't oil seeping, oil wouldn't peel paint and it feels different.
Any chance tightening the bolts would fix it??
Torque # for those bolts??
Thanks For Your Time

Mustang

Tightening the bolts is only going to strip them .
If your certain it's leaking you need new seals.
Anything can peel triumph paint on the engine.
The engine paint is useless.
My bet is pushrod seal in the block behind the cover.
They fail often.
Check the reservoir on the handlebars . If that level never drops it ain't the slave leaking.

Joe Bates

What is coming out looks reddish and doesn't feel like oil.
Still push rod seal??
Thanks For Your Time

Mustang

It's more than likely 18 year old brake fluid if it's red .............. :nod
you probably have a blown seal on the piston cup in the slave .
time for a rebuild or replace .
flush the master cyl out good as well as the line cuz its all full of 18 year old sludge .
and if the clutch system is full of red sludge , I would be willing to bet the brake systems are full of the same 18 year old sludge . :bug_eye

threepot

Quote from: Joe Bates on June 18, 2014, 06:30:44 PM
Still push rod seal??
Red?     Could be ATF :bad
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: threepot on June 18, 2014, 10:08:03 PM
Quote from: Joe Bates on June 18, 2014, 06:30:44 PM
Still push rod seal??
Red?     Could be ATF :bad
:nono
18 year old brake fluid sludge ......guaranteed

Sin_Tiger

:iagree the clutch often gets missed, the red colour comes from the fluid leaching the dye out of the rubber hose, consider changing the hose, they're not a huge cost and it's worth spending a few extra $ for peace of mind, don't want it to pop sitting in gear at the traffic lights  :icon_redface:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

that sounds like experiance talkin there sin  :icon_wink:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Sin_Tiger

Sort of  :augie was a really hot city ride and I thought the world had tilted as I slowly started pulling forward. Old hose, old fluid, old git riding it didn't look closely enough at it  :icon_redface: Let it cool at the nearest bike shop, just happened to have a nice coffee shop next door where I could wait while the nice Thai gentleman flushed the fluid out with some fresh stuff and off we went again less than $10 poorer  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint