News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head gasket weap.

Started by LeighSA, June 23, 2014, 11:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeighSA

Just looking at my 96 Steamer and noticed the head gasket is weeping at the rear (near the carbs)I have no problems fitting the gasket etc. but what I wanted to know is will I need to reseal the 3 wet sleeves and should I put new rings etc. Bike has 27,000km and uses no oil etc. What do you reckon? You can see little bits of the gasket breaking up and pushing out!!
Thanks in advance

Sin_Tiger

I wouldn't expect anything to be concerned about on the bores, unless there is previous abuse or lack of use. These engines regularly go to 100k miles and are still  in excellent condition. I would clean and reseal the cylinder base joint "Blue Hylomar" is the best, because you will have disturbed the original seal as soon as you remove the head.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

LeighSA

Thank you Sin-Tiger, sort of what I was thinking but it's nice to get a second opinion, as far as I know the bike has not really had any abuse. Owned it for a year now with no problems at all. Thanks again :wave

ram33

you can always check the ring gap when its out for peace of mind.
just done mine and there was hardly any wear at nearly 60k miles
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque