News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oxford Heaters

Started by 2doggs, June 26, 2014, 02:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2doggs

Just tried installing Oxford Heaters on my 2002 Tiger.  The OEM's burned out.  Fried wire.  Anyhow, I can not get the throttle side to fit.  There is absolutely no way it will go on.  I've sanded the ridges down on the throttle sleeve (per instructions) but the diameter of the grip is still too small to fit over the throttle sleeve.  Am I doing something wrong here?  Anyone have this much trouble before?   :BangHead  :BangHead

Thanks in advance for any help.   :wave
2002 Tiger
2006 Speed Triple

Mustang

spray paint inside the grip
while it's still wet and slippery  slide it on the throttle tube
when the paint dries it works better than grip glue .

Sin_Tiger

Plug it in to a 12V supply for a few minutes untill its soft enough to stretch slightly.

I've heard Mustangs tip performed with hairspray as well, never tried it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

2doggs

Quote from: Mustang on June 26, 2014, 02:42:20 PM
spray paint inside the grip
while it's still wet and slippery  slide it on the throttle tube
when the paint dries it works better than grip glue .

Thanks Mustang, my problem is the diameter of the inside of the grip is smaller than the throttle sleeve.  I don't think any amount of "lube" will help.  And the instructions say they should go on fairly easy and not to force them on.  I'd like to retain the ability to return these if I have to, so I don't want to mess them up too much.  The inside diameter of the new grip is about 1/8 of an inch smaller than the diameter of the throttle sleeve.  If I sand the entire outside of the throttle sleeve to slim it down enough, there won't be anything left of it.  Only problem I can think of is I ordered the "Touring" grips instead of the "Adventure" grips.  But that would be stupid because Oxford claims the only difference between the two is grip pattern and length.  Diameters are the same.  I've searched all over the internet for similar issues and cant find anyone who has had my problem.  I will call them today, but my experience with Customer Service people answering technical questions about their product is not good. 
2002 Tiger
2006 Speed Triple

2doggs

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 26, 2014, 02:46:21 PM
Plug it in to a 12V supply for a few minutes until its soft enough to stretch slightly.

I've heard Mustangs tip performed with hairspray as well, never tried it.

I'll look into that.  But I think the sizes beteween inner grip and throttle sleeve are so far off that liquefying them with heat would be the only way.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the quick replies gents.  I will post up how it turns out or what the issue was.  Maybe someone else will run into this at some point and I can alleviate their frustration.

Cheers.
2002 Tiger
2006 Speed Triple

Mustang

the non throttle side should be 7/8ths inch inside diameter
the throttle tube side should be an inch
if it's not an inch in diameter it will never fit over the throttle tube .
you didn't by any chance get sent the ATV grips ? as on atv grips both sides are the same ....7/8ths

2doggs

Brilliant thought Mustang.  I didn't order ATV's and the box says Touring and I have the correct instructions that state the two sides are different in size to accommodate the throttle. Thinking about it though, I'm pretty sure they are the same size because the both fit the clutch side nice and snug, like the instructions say they should.  I wonder if it was a repacked return item or something.  I'll give them a call.  Thanks again guys.
2002 Tiger
2006 Speed Triple

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: 2doggs on June 26, 2014, 06:17:07 PM
Brilliant thought Mustang.  .......................both fit the clutch side nice and snug,

Bingo .............. How did you think of that Mustang  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Toto

Flying Friggin' Monkeys !

Sin_Tiger

2doggs

First off, I'm an idiot.  I'll leave it at that.

Secondly, I finally got them both to fit.  It was a bit of a PITA that involved attacking the throttle sleeve with 150 grit sand paper, elbow grease, a few Sierra Nevada Pale Ales and plenty of foul language. 

Thanks again for the help guys.  I'll try not to be such a stranger.  :wave
2002 Tiger
2006 Speed Triple

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: 2doggs on June 27, 2014, 07:17:05 PM
I'll try not to be such a stranger.  :wave

At least your fingers will be warm when you tell us how effective they are. I'm interested in how the newer controller works with the much more tactile switches, the previous version with the membrane switches were OK but a bit hit and miss with gloves on.

2doggs

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 27, 2014, 10:19:42 PM
Quote from: 2doggs on June 27, 2014, 07:17:05 PM
I'll try not to be such a stranger.  :wave

At least your fingers will be warm when you tell us how effective they are. I'm interested in how the newer controller works with the much more tactile switches, the previous version with the membrane switches were OK but a bit hit and miss with gloves on.

I'll pop back in and give a status report on them and how easy (or not) the controller is to use. 
2002 Tiger
2006 Speed Triple

Mustang

Quote from: 2doggs on June 27, 2014, 11:53:17 PM

I'll pop back in and give a status report on them and how easy (or not) the controller is to use.
still waiting......