News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Adjustable length kick stand.

Started by Mogas, June 29, 2014, 01:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mogas

My 955 Tiger stands very upright when on the side stand, on windy days I worry that it could topple when a gust comes at it from the wrong side! It is also a bit of a pain to find the right spot to lean her over at times.
Being a bit on the short side I wanted to reduce the preload at the back, maybe even raise the forks a bit in the clamps in order to get a better foot on the ground at standstill.
I also wanted to increase the side stand's foot area as I often park it on the dirt.
With the tall stand this would all not be possible unless I shortened the side stand.
How much do I cut out? what if I cut out too much? I don't want to have to lengthen it again.
So I decided to cut a piece out and weld in an adjuster so that I could alter the length of the stand itself.
Hardware required:
x2 M12 coupling nuts.
x1 M12 normal nut.
x1 M12 bolt, 70mm long.
A square 60x60mm, 3mm plate.
Method:
Remove the side stand.
Measure the standard length, maybe you want to get it exactly standard again at some stage. Mine measured 245mm.
Assemble the adjuster and lay it alongside the stand on the bench to decide where to cut the piece out.
Mark the cut lines to remove a 30mm piece.
Cut the piece out and cleanup.
Then I used my lathe to turn down the corners of the coupling nuts and bolt before knocking them into the stand. You could use a grinder for this, I only took off about 2mm to get them to go in.
I also welded the head of the bolt to the coupling nut to stop it turning in there.
Hammer them it and leave about 3mm protruding to allow for a weld to hold them in place.
Weld those and the new foot onto the bottom.
Before welding the foot, take note of the clearance required for the chain and centre stand when both are retracted. This will show that the new foot must extend outwards.
Cleanup the welds and paint it.
Assemble and adjust to the length required. I used Loctite 242 on the thread.
Pics to follow.

Mogas

Measure the height of the stand before cutting.

Mogas

Mogas

Mogas

Mogas

Just a caution:
I think that the engineers at Triumph designed the stand the way that they did so that there is minimal load on the point where the assembly bolts onto the aluminium case. 
Please be aware that the more the bike leans over on the side stand, the more the load will be in that area.
Use discretion when adjusting the length!

Bixxer Bob

Aye, didn't we just have someone with a broken casing at the sidestand mount?  :icon_scratch:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...