News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speedo drive

Started by nickjtc, June 29, 2014, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

What I thought was a broken speedometer cable has turned out to be a seized speedometer drive unit. So one of the tangs on the rotating washer thingy in the wheel is mashed up. I'm soaking the unit to see if it frees up, but assuming it doesn't I will have to replace it.

Any of you out there been in this situation?

I'm also considering switching to digital and fitting a Vapor digital gauge, which I've had good success with on a Yam XT500 I had.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Nick Calne

You can normally get second hand speedo and clock components from ebay quite cheaply.

If you change for a digital dash how will you mount it? Will you remove the old stuff?

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

You can fit a magnet in one of the disc screw heads and a reed switch, Vapur retailers probably do a variety to suit, if not both Motogadget  and Smiths do various bits & kits.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: nickcalne on June 29, 2014, 10:23:15 PM
You can normally get second hand speedo and clock components from ebay quite cheaply.

If you change for a digital dash how will you mount it? Will you remove the old stuff?

Yes.

But now might be a chance to bring Stanley into the 21st Century..... perhaps. Being an anal retent if I get a replacement speedo drive I would want to move the digits in the speedo forward to the correct mileage, per the post by Sin http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10879&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=  Not a huge job, but.......

So I have this afternoon stripped off all of the instruments and started to fabricate a replacement 'dashboard' out of a thin piece of aluminium sheet I had kicking around, using the stock plastic black thingy as a template. A good way to kill a couple of hours and listen to a few tunes in the garage. Did I mention a brewski or two....?

If it ends up looking half-arsed decent then I will order a Vapor 752-704 as suggested by their CSR and the fun will begin..

The $64,000 question will be whether to retain the stock idiot light cluster (and save $55) or to buck up and get the very nice and simple Vapor warning light surround.

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 29, 2014, 11:39:38 PM
You can fit a magnet in one of the disc screw heads and a reed switch, Vapor retailers probably do a variety to suit, if not both Motogadget  and Smiths do various bits & kits.

Yes, their kits are very comprehensive. Not cheap, but better than the cack that comes out of Hong Kong.

nickjtc

I decided to go Vapor. The compatible one is model 752-704 (in black), assuming you do not want to use their coolant temperature sensor. I will retain the Triumph temperature gauge and mount it where the clock is now in the right hand fairing panel.

I started tearing in to the wiring harness in prep for the fun and games to come and am amazed at the amount of 'excess' wire there is in the harness at the front under the fairing.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickjtc on July 01, 2014, 06:25:57 AM
am amazed at the amount of 'excess' wire there is in the harness at the front under the fairing..

That's for all the options like, heated grips, GPS, heated seats, powered windscreen, Traction Control and Multi Media system, were those options not available in the Americas  :icon_scratch:

:icon_razz:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 01, 2014, 09:32:59 AM
That's for all the options like, heated grips, GPS, heated seats, powered windscreen, Traction Control and Multi Media system, were those options not available in the Americas  :icon_scratch:

Ha ha! But what I meant by excess was not volume, but length. The harness that carries all the warning light wiring is way longer than it needs to be to get from the gauge cluster to the main wiring loom, even allowing for a bit of give.