News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Broken side stand

Started by Roadinator, March 25, 2014, 02:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

On the right lines there but the necessary skills of welding cast aluminium will need to be found to complete the job, not really found in most bike shops but a good engineering/fabrication should supply.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Sin_Tiger

What I was suggesting was drilling further than the original thread depth. Make a bushup on a lathe with a smaller diameter (spigot) that fits into the hole then weld it to the casing. That way you're not relying entirely on the strength of the weld to support the stand. I can do a wee sketch later if that's still not clear.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Roadinator

I got ya Sin_Tiger.  That's what I was thinking, but did not know the language.  Still might swing by the local shop, so hello and let them look at it.  I have an old friend that is a machinist that I am sure he would know what to do.  I really don't feel like pulling the motor for this, but it seems it would be a pain to try and do this with the motor/casing still in place.
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

Chris Canning

Quote from: Roadinator on April 06, 2014, 04:06:27 AM
I use the side stand to get on and off the bike when loaded.  Hard to get the leg over while holding the bike up.  Will have to figure it out or get use to parking next to curbs to step on and off.

I've absolutely no doubt a solution can be found,with some hassle!! but carry on doing the above and you'll back again with the same problem,all that pressure on two bolts screwed into cast alloy!!!

Roadinator

I got the bike back with the lower broken hole filled and tapped out.  Also had the other lower hole tapped out to a little larger size to get new a bolt (that side was stripped).  Since it broke I have moved and of course lost my spring to the side stand (new one ordered $7).

My question is about "play" in the side stand.  I have about an 1" of play in the side stand and this does not seem normal.  Do tiger owners have tight side stands?  I was thinking the side stand probably was getting loose as the mounting plate was getting loose and the weight of putting the bike on the side stand probably loosened it up some .  Guess I could drop the end of the side stand in the vise and squeeze it in some or try some washers to help tighten it up. 

Any thoughts on how tight the side stand should fit in the mounting plate that is attached to the engine case?

John Stenhouse

Mine has play too, not sure it's as much as yours but it definitely has a fair amount of movement
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Roadinator

It's all back together.  I tried to work a washer in the space where it has some play, but would not fit.  Guess I'll go with a little play and not worry about it.  Looks like I stripped out a water pump bolt (small lower one).  Seems to drip a little.  Also had some funkiness with the temperature gauge.  Gauge was showing it running hot and a short 10 minute ride.  I'm thinking it was air in the system?  When I stopped and ran an errand and then rode home it was running cool the whole way.  Going out for a ride now and will see how the temperature runs (and drips).  I don't think the drip is causing it to suck in air, but I will need to fix that.   :icon_eek: