News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anybody else fed up with poor service in UK??

Started by threepot, July 17, 2014, 07:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Called into 2 local motor factors today to get some basic parts to service my daughters Corsa. Plugs,oil and air filter..walked out from both empty handed! First one,stood there like I was invisible! 1 chap serving,4 or 5 supposedly answering phones. Walked out. Went to another,quick service,but wanted £30 +VAT. I questioned the price,was told that was a good price? Knew I could buy cheaper. Just paid £19.99 on eBay,and that includes a fuel filter! Phoned both companies,spoke to the mgr with the first,usual excuse..short staffed,building work being done etc. Phoned second company,explained what happened there,and to pass a msg to the chap who served me that I'd bought the parts a lot cheaper online. Complained in lidl's recently,8th in the que..only one checkout open! Cashier blamed the mgr not being there!!! I must be turning into a grumpy old ............. :icon_evil:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

When a company pays peanuts, it is inevitable that they will hire monkeys!

It's the same the world over, especially here. Sales assistants are not taught how to be effective in their interpersonal stuff with customers. Good luck trying to catch the eye of the person talking on the phone when you walk into a store.

The worst offenders here are in a chain called Canadian Tire (or Crappy Tire as they are affectionately known). They have a fair selection of products, but just try to find someone who is even remotely interested in helping you!

Actually, when you become a ghof, it becomes easier to grumble at people.  :thumbsup
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Geoff W

Lidl and Aldi work on bare minimum of staff. Often only 3 and sometimes only 2 people working in a store at any one time. That is why they often only have one checkout working. On the other hand they pay at the top of the range for retail staff, which is still not a very high rate. That and using slightly out of town locations is how they work their business model to keep the prices low. If you want good service you have to be prepared to pay a premium rate.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Spud

you need to learn the art of making yourself a ferking arse 'ole because it seems in this country he who complains loudest and longest irrespective of the actual complaint gets on.

Ask for peoples names when you have a problem that seems to get peoples attention, be polite to start with and give them enough rope to hang themselves, I take notes of whom and when I have spoken to people.

Most service in this country is crap, but there are the odd company and people out there who care

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Spud on July 18, 2014, 08:47:07 AM

Most service in this country is crap, but there are the odd company and people out there who care

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Ordered a hat from Go Outdoors the other day using the collect in store service, when I went to collect it it wasnt there despite me receiving comfirmation it was there. I requested and received a refund then went home and sent an email to customer service.

3 days later I received the item free of charge in the post with an apology for the inconvenience caused. Nice to find a company that wants to retain their customers.

Unfortunately in most other cases complaints about poor service are met with indifference or lame excuses.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

:iagree A whole generation has equated service with servitude in my opinion and ironically done nothing about it.

So I do make a point whenever it's necessary but I also take the time to say thank and praise good service and attitude when I do encounter it.

So - thank you to the two ladies (of my generation) at Westmoorland Services who served me with coffee and biscuits with a cheery smile and light hearted banter and let me put my feet up in comfort at 02:00 in between cleaning the place and making up the fresh sandwiches for the next day, that set me up nicely to bludgeon the Thruxton through the misty night to get home as the dawn rose  :notworthy

Respect also to the lady at "Ultra light Camping Gear" who took my word over the phone that the most expensive bit that I had ordered was missing from the package, no quibbles, no talk of checking with the carrier or could I send them photos etc. etc. just overnighted a complete new set  :icon_salut:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 18, 2014, 11:02:57 AM
:iagree A whole generation has equated service with servitude in my opinion and ironically done nothing about it.

:iagree +1. I believe it is all in the attitude. My partner is from Hungary. Over there in the old days even what we consider as 'menial' jobs were considered a trade. So to become a waiter/waitress involved three years training at a trade school.

I used to teach 'customer service' as part of my training business; it's a proven fact that giving above average service takes very little effort, but can yield great rewards.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

Just had similar in our local Halfords.  Picked up an item, went to the till and looked around.  No staff anywhere.  Looked a bit harder, two guys chatting in a store room at the back of the store.  I shouted the length of the store loud enough so the whole store could hear me "Are you taking money for stock or is everything free???"  One of them sauntered over and gave a sarcastic apology before taking payment.  I complained by Email and was asked to ring the store manager because he would like to deal with my complaint.  I Emailed back to say that since the incident I'd found two good motor factors in the area who provide an excellent service and are keen to have my business so I wasn't interested in his excuses, the damage was already done. 

a manager has to lead his team and set an example, then make sure that the staff measure up to his standards.  In Halfords case, I think the manager was workshy, and that was the standard he set for his staff.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

Thatswhat happened to me in lidls. I passed 2 members of staff chatting in an isle when I app roached the checkout, then had to wait for 7 people to be served front of me. We don't complain enough in this country..stiff upper lip,prepared to wait in ques etc And thats the way the retail sector will treat us,because its the norm.
95 Super111
96 Tiger