News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Misfire

Started by Boo, July 19, 2014, 09:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo

Tigger on 06 plate, 13,000. Did the 20 minute tune up yesterday. Took her out today for a test run before my holiday trip to Italy. After 6 miles I found a misfire at about 60 MPH. Called into my mates workshop where he connected it to the laptop with no luck. It seems that his (cheap) connector lead is duff. It's happened to him before.
Off I go again only to find it getting worse, then better then worse again. Seems worse on level running but will pull ok on acceleration. Cleaned the sensor thingy in the exhaust pipe, it was pretty clean. I'm booked in for a laptop setup next Saturday but would like to sort it sooner if possible. Any suggestions please.

Bixxer Bob

Are you sure it's a misfire? Or is it just hesitating?

Why did you do a 20 minute tune?  And what did you do??  An 06 gets an "adaptation" not the 12 min tune.

Any OBD II reader will look at the codes and see if you have any faults, but it's unlikely you'll find it telling you anything meaningful.

Was it running ok before you messed with it, and what else, if anything, did you do?? 

If you "cleaned" the O2 sensor, like as not it's now buggered, you're not supposed to touch the sensitive bit.

Not very helpful, I know, but I can't help if I don't know where I'm starting from.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

trophydave

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 19, 2014, 09:09:43 PM

If you "cleaned" the O2 sensor, like as not it's now buggered, you're not supposed to touch the sensitive bit.

I used to work in a garage.If ever a car came in with a Lambda fault the boss always insisted that we clean the sensor with carb cleaner,wire brushes,compressed air,anything that was to hand.He would reset the engine management light and send them on their way.It never ever made any difference,they always ended up coming back.

Boo

Did the 20 minute thing just to make sure all was well. Left it to run for 20 minutes after the fan came on.  Only did it because it was recommended here.
What exactly is the adaption anyway? It was running ok last time I used it about two weeks ago. I gave the sensor a LIGHT brush over with a soft copper wire brush. Is it a good idea to fit a sensor eliminator?

Chris Canning

First thing I'd be doing is sticking a set of plugs in before I did anything else.

Boo

did that at the service about 600 miles ago

Chris Canning

If you said 100 miles ago I'd say fine but 600 is more than enough to show up a duff one,and more to the point now you have said someone has been into the bike I'd start again and check everything,and while you at as Bixxer said in another post check the voltage on the battery these Tiger ain't happy if it's not tip top.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: trophydave on July 19, 2014, 09:46:09 PM
Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 19, 2014, 09:09:43 PM

I used to work in a garage.If ever a car came in with a Lambda fault the boss always insisted that we clean the sensor with carb cleaner,wire brushes,compressed air,anything that was to hand.He would reset the engine management light and send them on their way.It never ever made any difference,they always ended up coming back.

with a buggered sensor by any chance??  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Boo

Took Tigger out for a try today on the same run as before. No problems at all. Huh!? Not a miss, a fart or a cough. Management light is still on, but that is expected to stay on until I do three more start cycles. Ah well, lets see what the computermabob says when it's connected. Oh, how I long for a single carburetor.  :icon_confused:

Boo

Whilst on this subject, what is the best course of action for a Tigger? Is it best to fit a sensor eliminator, put in a different program, fit a power commander or just shout very loudly at it when you have had enough? :BangHead
All I need, and I think a lot of others too , is just a hastle free bike set up. Any suggestions?

Bixxer Bob

Hassle free doesn't exist.

To answer some of your earlier questions, read the "how to" for 12 minute tune and Adaptation explanations.

DO check the voltage.  If the battery is finished you'll be sorry you didn't.

No point in fitting the O2 bypass, it just locks the ECU in whatever state of trim it was in when you fitted it.

If you fit a Power Commander you will:

a.  Be hundreds of pounds poorer.
      b.  Be no further forward.

First rule, if it's running well, don't f**k with it.

If it's not, battery voltage first, then clean map install and trim reset.  Then ride the damn thing.  It'll trim itself out eventually to the point where it's fairly good.  You'll always get a bit of chuntering around 30mph but not all the time.  Mine is smooth some days, not smooth on others. 

Boo

Had a bod look at it this weekend with a laptop. He did not have the triumph program but a universal bike and car one. He said it could be the throttle sensor. Do these give a lot of trouble? If so, are they easy to fix?

Boo

Had another chap look at it today. Unfortunately he only had the program for the '02 models, but he did identify a fault as TP0123 and there was too much power entering then throttle sensor. Does this make any sense to anyone out there?

Mustang

code p123 on most anything with obdii (tigers) is a bad throttle position sensor .

and having an air leak at the gasket for above mentioned tps is a known failure point on tiggers .
could be that or you may need new tps

Bixxer Bob

Here below are the Triumph manual diagnostic checks for code 0123.

IF you decide to change the sensor, you will need TuneECU and a cable (look in the how-to) to calibrate the new one correctly.  And you'll need a new throttle body gasket (see what to watch out fro in the how-to change your TB gasket).  And everyone changes the chocolate Triumph screws for decent hex socket screws or it will eventually develop a leak.   Good luck.