News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Overheating

Started by TigerT, July 17, 2014, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerT

My 03 won't start when hot, fine when cold. Also it can spew out the coolant when it gets really hot.
It had a new rectifier last year which had a voltage regulator on and apparently is charging fine.
I have heard there is a mod for this as there issues with fuses melting?
However the fan cuts in early and drains the battery and the clock resets.
The mechanic who services the bike thinks there may be a head gasket problem as he changed the coolant and rad cap but it discoloured to a rust colour almost immediately.
Anyone else have these issues?
Thanks
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

Sin_Tiger

Did he change the thermostat and check the housing? One of our members went through a lot of pain solving a similar issue and shared to help us, search please.

No disrespect to your mechanic but I read that as changing things without getting to the root of the issue, don't let him touch the head until he's done a compression / leak down test and a coolant hydrocarbon absorption check, if he doesn't know hat those are find another mechanic.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

daveb

I had a overheating problem with 06 tiger pushing coolant out of expansion bottle, I was also told by a mechanic where I bought it from (triumph dealership) it was the head, however they had not tested anything and wanted £900 to fix it, I rode the bike home. I contacted another triumph dealership think it was  Fowlers Bristol, they advised me it was the rad cap, bought a new rad cap from Fowlers also thermostat, changed both and the problem disappeared.

Remember to flush the system. And you will need to 'burp' the air our.

Also, I keep the coolant at the low level.

Bixxer Bob

As for the quick staining, they should have flushed it while they did the work.  Clearly they didn't, so might be a good idea to do that too.

The fan shouldn't be draining the battery unless it's running on a long time after you turn the ign off.  Which it shouldn't.  This points to a weak battery, which will kill your charging circuits if you don't sort it.  Check the battery voltage and again with the engine running. It should be around 12.5v and with the engine running you should be getting at least 13v,  but should be more like 14.5v.  If you are, but it still goes flat quickly, it's knackered.  If it's more than three years old, replace it anyway.  For £40 or so it's false economy not to.  These bikes are very prone to problems if the battery and charging aren't tip top.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...